SUMIF INDIRECT returning 0

hulio82

Hi everyone, longtime excel user and mrexcel lurker, first time poster. I'm running into some issues which probably are just due to my lack of excel knowledge.

Essentially, here is what i'm trying to do (this is an example,but i'm trying to do this for larger amounts of data):

Sheet 1:
Row 1 Row 2 Row 3
A X $1
B Y $2
B Z $3
C Q $4

Sheet 2:
Result-
A total: $1
B total: $5
C total: $4

I want to be able to generate the results on a different sheet. I tried using Sumif paired with indirect and keep on getting 0. It appears to work fine when i use the formula on Sheet 1, but when i try to use the formula on sheet 2, it returns 0.

any help is appreciated. if needed, i can upload my actual spreadsheet. in a hurry now, so just put in an example.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Not sure why you're using INDIRECT?? Just use SUMIF

=SUMIF('Sheet1'!$A:$A,"A",'Sheet1'!$C:$C)

This will sum column C of Sheet1 where column A contains the letter "A".

Upvote 0
just saw my post and realized it is incomplete. here is the updated question with more details.

Essentially, here is what i'm trying to do (this is an example,but i'm trying to do this for larger amounts of data):

Sheet 1:
( ) (A) (B) (C)
(1) A X $1
(2) B Y $2
(3) B Z $3
(4) C Q $4

Sheet 2:
Result-
A total: $1
B total: $5
C total: $4

I want to be able to generate the results on a different sheet. Since i'm dealing with large amounts of data which changes frequently, it becomes burdensome having to go back and change the ranges. e.g., if using Sumif(A1:A4,"B",C1:C4) which results 5. If i later add in additional data, i have to manually go in an update the ranges. So, i tried to simplify it by listing the ranges in a seperate table.

Sheet1:
Ranges-
( ) (A) (B)
1 A1:A1 C1:C1
2 A2:A3 C2:C3
3 A4:A4 C4:C4

So whenever data moved around and i had to make updates, i could just update the range in one location and it would update my formulas automatically. To do this, based on my research, i had to use the indirect function. So my function was something like Sumif(Indirect(Sheet1!B1),"B",Indirect(Sheet!B2)) which should ideally return 5, but instead its returning 0.

any help is appreciated. if needed, i can upload my actual spreadsheet. in a hurry now, so just put in an example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why don't you use my example?

You don't have to use a specific range of cells, you can reference the entire column.

Instead of

=SUMIF(A1:A5,"A",C1:C5)

use

=SUMIF(Sheetname!A:A,"A",Sheetname!C:C)

Or am I missing something??

Upvote 0
Hulio82, I see a lot of problems in your example, but the main thing here is I don't think you need an indirect at all.

Instead of the hardcoding the critieria as in (in Sheet2 B2):
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$4,"A",Sheet1!$C$1:$C$4)

couldn't you use:
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$4,A2,Sheet1!$C$1:$C$4)

Where Col A contains just your criteria list.

A variant, if your Sheet2 Column A list all take the form "name Totals"
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$4,SUBSTITUTE(A2," Totals",""),Sheet1!$C$1:$C$4)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back