SUMIFS Providing Incorrect Total

RudeClown

Board Regular
Hi! This really isn't very complicated, but I'm finding that my SUMIFS formula is adding an extra penny to the total. I don't know if the issue will scale up or not with a larger dataset, but regardless, it needs to be accurate with three items on the list or three hundred. The correct answer in the below is $2.54, not $2.55. Any thoughts why it's not calculating correctly? Any background rounding going on that I can't see? The idea here, is the user will enter dates into G2 & H2, then I2 should add together any payout amounts from column E that falls on or between the dates entered, as noted in column A. I did notice, btw, that if I delete the data in row 5, it calculates correctly with only the row 3 & 4 data, but with the row 5 data, it adds an extra penny. Thanks for anything you may be able offer!
PayoutSpreadsheet.jpg

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Looks like a rounding issue. Is column E a formula? If so, the amounts aren't exact cents amount, but are just displayed to the 2 digit precision that shows. You can use one of the ROUND or CEILING functions around the E formula to get the actual value you want, then the SUMIFS should work ok for you.

Upvote 0
Solution
Looks like a rounding issue. Is column E a formula? If so, the amounts aren't exact cents amount, but are just displayed to the 2 digit precision that shows. You can use one of the ROUND or CEILING functions around the E formula to get the actual value you want, then the SUMIFS should work ok for you.
Thank you for pointing that out! I tweaked the formula in column E with ROUND and that seems to have taken care of it. I truly appreciate your time in giving me a hand!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back