Summarize selective columns in power query

sailepaty

I created a custom column with the following formula.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each [pP01]+[pP02]+[pP03]+[pP04]+[pP05]+[pP06])

Is there a way to pass the fields that I want to add? For example if I just want to add [pP02]+[pP03]

Something like this
= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each [pP02]+[pP03])

Or like this
= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each [pP01]*1+[pP02]*1+[pP03]*0+[pP04]*0+[pP05]*0+[pP06]*0)

Thanks in advance.

PS. I made the same question in Excelguru forum.
http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showthread.php?4312-Summarize-selective-columns-in-power-query

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Your second thought looks very promising. So you need an additional table that contains the "valid" columns per line of your original table (name your cols mP01, mP02... and fill in "1" if valid). Join that on the key and you'll get these as additional columns in your original table.

Then your formula will just be sth like: = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each [pP01]*[mP01]+[pP02]*[mP02]...

(Well, of course you could use a grouping attribute as well, if your logic is not on a line level but swhere else)

But I'd wait for Billszysz to come by here, he'd probably deliver some great formula, that does that fully dynamic (irrespective of how many columns you have :))

stay querious :)

Upvote 0
ImkeF, your solution should work. However, like you said let’s wait if Billszysz or somebody else comes with a dynamic solution.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Upvote 0
Hi sailepaty, Hi ImkeF :)
haha...billszysz is comming :LOL:
Ok.... so, this is only first attempt.
Code:
let
    ParamTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblParam"]}[Content],
    SourceTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblSource"]}[Content],
    AddIndex = Table.AddIndexColumn(SourceTable, "Indeks", 0, 1),
    UnPivotCloumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(AddIndex, {"name", "Indeks"}, "ColName", "Value"),
    MerCol1 = Table.NestedJoin(UnPivotCloumns,{"ColName"},ParamTable,{"ColName"},"New"),
    ExpNewMult = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MerCol1, "New", {"Multiply"}, {"New.Multiply"}),
    FilterNotNull = Table.SelectRows(ExpNewMult, each ([New.Multiply] <> null)),
    AddCol = Table.AddColumn(FilterNotNull, "Custom", each [Value]*[New.Multiply]),
    GroupRows = Table.Group(AddCol, {"name", "Indeks"}, {{"Sum", each List.Sum([Custom]), type number}}),
    MergeTable = Table.NestedJoin(AddIndex,{"name","Indeks"},GroupRows,{"name","Indeks"},"Custom"),
    ExpCustom = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeTable, "Custom", {"Sum"}, {"Sum"}),
    RemCol = Table.RemoveColumns(ExpCustom,{"Indeks"})
in
    RemCol

And here (below) is a link to an example file on my google drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6UlMk8OzUrxRmNSb2s1ei1BMm8/view?usp=sharing

Regards ... and sq :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi billszysz,

I have something similar set, but not as clean as your sample. I was looking for a different approach because I have 48 different fields to consider and was trying to avoid the second table.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Upvote 0
OK, fair enough. So in order to develop a different approach, it would be helpful to know:

1) How you currently express the logic to be applied
2) How you'd prefer that to be transfered to PQ or referenced by PQ.
3) Will there be different logics to be applied for one table (so for some lines [pP02]+[pP03] and for others [pP03]+[pP04]+[pP05] aso)?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, merging your ideas this is what I have so far.

Parameters Table
v01v02v03v04v05

<tbody>
</tbody>
Source TableTotals Table
nameP01P02P03P04P05C01C02C03C04C05nameTotPTotC
John Doe564610108358John Doe1011
Imke9710916310103Imke1713
Bill25771093712Bill1210
Mike1331957866Mike615
Miguel2533578432Miguel812
Chris38765371074Chris1517
Ken41497161048Ken516
Kurt65911036227Kurt148
Bill31045889983Bill1418

<tbody>
</tbody>

Code:
let
    ParamTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblParam"]}[Content],
    AddParDig = Table.AddColumn(ParamTable, "ParDig", each 1),
    SourceTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblSource"]}[Content],
    AddSourceDig = Table.AddColumn(SourceTable, "SouDig", each 1),
    MerCols = Table.NestedJoin(AddSourceDig,{"SouDig"},AddParDig,{"ParDig"},"New"),
    ExpNewCol = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MerCols, "New", {"v01", "v02", "v03", "v04", "v05"}, {"v01", "v02", "v03", "v04", "v05"}),
    AddTotP = Table.AddColumn(ExpNewCol, "TotP", each [P01]*[v01]+[P02]*[v02]+[P03]*[v03]+[P04]*[v04]+[P05]*[v05]),
    AddTotC = Table.AddColumn(AddTotP, "TotC", each [C01]*[v01]+[C02]*[v02]+[C03]*[v03]+[C04]*[v04]+[C05]*[v05]),
    SelCols = Table.SelectColumns(AddTotC,{"name", "TotP", "TotC"})
in
    SelCols

Any suggestions you may have will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
No problem, sailepaty :)

Code:
let
    ParamTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblParam2"]}[Content],
    UnPivotParam = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(ParamTable, {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    SplitCol = Table.SplitColumn(UnPivotParam,"Attribute",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 1}, false),{"Attribute.1", "Key"}),
    RemoveColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(SplitCol,{"Attribute.1"}),
    ReadyParam = Table.SelectRows(RemoveColumn, each [Value] <> 0),
    SourceTable = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblSource2"]}[Content],
    AddIndexSource = Table.AddIndexColumn(SourceTable, "Indeks", 0, 1),
    UnPivotSource = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(AddIndexSource, {"name","Indeks"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    ReadyToMerge = Table.SplitColumn(UnPivotSource,"Attribute",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 1}, false),{"Attribute", "KeySource"}),
    MergeBoth = Table.NestedJoin(ReadyToMerge,{"KeySource"},ReadyParam,{"Key"},"New"),
    ExpandTable = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeBoth, "New", {"Value"}, {"New.Value"}),
    FilterNewValue = Table.SelectRows(ExpandTable, each ([New.Value] <> 0 and [New.Value] <> null)),
    AddColumn = Table.AddColumn(FilterNewValue, "Custom", each [Value]*[New.Value]),
    RemoveColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddColumn,{"KeySource", "Value", "New.Value"}),
    GroupingRows = Table.Group(RemoveColumns, {"name", "Attribute","Indeks"}, {{"Sum", each List.Sum([Custom]), type number}}),
    PivotAttrib = Table.Pivot(GroupingRows, List.Distinct(GroupingRows[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Sum", List.Sum),
    SortByIndex = Table.Sort(PivotAttrib,{{"Indeks", Order.Ascending}}),
    RemIndex = Table.RemoveColumns(SortByIndex,{"Indeks"}),
    TheEnd = Table.RenameColumns(RemIndex,{{"P", "Total P"}, {"C", "Total C"}})
in
    TheEnd
tblParam2 is your parameters Table and tblSource2 is your Source Table.

Happy Easter :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back