SUMPRODUCT and "--", what does it do?

dengel3587

I was having trouble with COUNTIF, so I fell upon this old thread:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/84490-countif-not-counting-all-values.html
In the third reply, fairwinds suggests using "=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10={"y","n","n/a"}))" instead of COUNTIF.

For reasons I don't know, using that "--( )" fixed my problem. Specifically, my problem was I was trying to count the number of times "<-50%" appeared in some cells. The list looked something like this:
A
10%
2-20 to -25%
3+20 to +25%
40 to +5%
5<-50%

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Using
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5, <criteria> )
worked for things like "0%" and "-20 to -25%", but it didn't work for "<-50%". Then when I used
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$5="<-50%"))
it worked. What does the "--( )" do that makes this^ formula work, but not the COUNTIF or using the SUMPRODUCT without the "--( )" part.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
1.) Welcome to the forum.
2.) The '--' is just what it may seem, a double negative. Since the statement in the SUMPRODUCT function is returning TRUE or FALSE, these values cannot be multiplied and added properly since the function is expecting numbers. We use a double negative to convert TRUE to 1 and FALSE to 0 (binary) so the function can use them.
3.) You could still use COUNTIF with the < -50%. The issue is that Excel needs comparison operators (such as < , > , <> , < =, etc) enclosed in quotes to use correctly. You would need =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,"<-50%"). If you want to use a reference instead of hard-coding -50%, you need to join the operator and the reference together using & - ie: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,"<"&$B$1)

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to count if a number is less than 50%, I'm trying to count if the cell contains the text "<-50%", so =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,"<"&$B$1) is not what I would want to do. However, I think the fact that Excel uses "<" to compare values may have something to do with why it wasn't working. Maybe it was considering the "<" in "<-50%" as an operator instead of just text.

But thanks for your explanation of "--". That was the main thing I wanted to know.

Upvote 0
Ah. I misunderstood. I see now. You are correct, the COUNTIF was interpretting "<-50%" as 'Values less than negative 50 percent' instead of the text string. I'm sure there is a work around (my mind is trying to shut down - end of the work day), but I think its pretty safe to say that the SUMPRODUCT approach is cleaner and easier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back