SUMPRODUCT COUNTIFS multiple columns with multiple criteria held in a dynamic list

leearmitage

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following formula which works correctly. It counts the number of times the word "error" is found in column A when column B is equal to a particular date held in cell $D$2, and Column C is equal to any value in a table called lu_tbl_branch. That table is dynamic, so sometimes it may have 1 entry, other times it could be 30 or more (so I can't hard code the values)

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(
loading_Appended_Source[Column A],"*error*",
loading_Appended_Source[Column B],D$2,
loading_Appended_Source[Column C],lu_tbl_branch))

I would like to adjust the formula so that I can also refer to other dynamic tables (called lu_tbl_exec and lu_tbl_from). I've tried the following but no success, so hoping you can help me!

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(
loading_Appended_Source[[Column A],"*error*",
loading_Appended_Source[[Column B],D$2,
loading_Appended_Source[[Column C],lu_tbl_branch,
loading_Appended_Source[[Column D],lu_tbl_exec,
loading_Appended_Source[[Column E],lu_tbl_from))

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You can do what you want with a maximum of 2 ranges by transposing one of them, for example
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(
loading_Appended_Source[[Column A],"*error*",
loading_Appended_Source[[Column B],D$2,
loading_Appended_Source[[Column C],lu_tbl_branch,
loading_Appended_Source[[Column D],TRANSPOSE(lu_tbl_exec))

For more than 2 ranges you would need to use more complex and less efficient array formulas, which would need to be based on a number of factors such as excel version (which functions are available to use) and the formats of the data. In many cases text strings need to be handled differently to numeric values, especially where partial matches are involved.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Just to add to @jasonb75: i was thinking along the same line but this solution will work based on the assumption the dynamic table only holds ONE column.

Upvote 0
You can do what you want with a maximum of 2 ranges by transposing one of them, for example
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(
loading_Appended_Source[Column A],"*error*",
loading_Appended_Source[Column B],D$2,
loading_Appended_Source[Column C],lu_tbl_branch,
loading_Appended_Source[Column D],TRANSPOSE(lu_tbl_exec))

For more than 2 ranges you would need to use more complex and less efficient array formulas, which would need to be based on a number of factors such as excel version (which functions are available to use) and the formats of the data. In many cases text strings need to be handled differently to numeric values, especially where partial matches are involved.
Thanks Jason. Unfortunately that didn't work. I think because there were too many words in the transposed array? I did try it with COLUMN E and the lu_tbl_from instead (which only has a maximum of 4 possible entries), but the results were still spurious. I am happy to try a CSE array formula if neccessary. I'm using Excel 2016

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2016

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using saves having to mention it. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Did you try it with CSE? As you're using 2016, that is likely to be necessary.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back