Switching from Excel to Internet Explorer

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Excel sheet with employee names and employee numbers. We need to use those numbers to place into our training software to take attendance for a class. The training software is web based and we use IE to run it.

Just before training starts, the instructor will log into the training software and access the specific class and start taking attendance.

I'm searching for a way to select the trainee, copy his employee number, then switch to IE (that will already be at the right place), where they will paste in the employee number.

I've done some searches and most of them have you opening IE, or opening and load a website. We should already be at the location where the employee number is needed.

I guess is would sort of be like a ALT+TAB to bring up a previously active window (but a specific previously active window). I don't think Send keys would be the best way to do this because it may not always be the last opened window.

After the employee number is selected, it would be ideal to ... copy the number --- switch to IE, paste it into the attendance window, and switch back to Excel waiting for the next student. But right now, I'm just hoping to make the switch to IE, so at a minimum, the instructor would CTRL+V to paste and click to add the student to the class. Then select Excel (Task bar, or ALT+TAB)to go back and pick up where they left off.

Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
mark

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
These automation may be developed using the commands made available to vba via the Microsoft Html Object Library, mshtml.tlb
Unfortunately this is mostly a trial-and-error process and it is necessary to access the target url to inspect its html source code and identify the method that can be used to interact.
So if you can publish the web page url and we can get access to it probably something can be developed; otherwise it’s a matter for sorcery
Bye

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, sometimes I think all of this stuff is sorcery. With all of the help I have received on this board, people think I'm Harry Potter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back