Take up rate for Excel 365 and beyond

tigerzen

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel 365 has introduced some great functions simplifying tasks that were more laborious with previous versions of Excel, dynamic arrays alone has had a big impact. I wonder what the take-up has been with Excel 365 and later versions of Excel? Still seeing plenty of reference to older versions as well as a minority saying that the new functions etc have not changed the way they do things.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
As one of the minority that have not changed the way I do things, I thought it might be worth explaining why I have never found any desire get any of the "New" functions that have been introduced to Excel since EXCEL 2010. It is very simple: using VBA it has alway been possible to create User Defined Functions which I have found to be extremely useful, and most of the functions that I have created still don't exist in EXCEL. What isgreat about UDF is that they are very easy to tailor to do exactly what I want rather than using a more general solution which EXCLE creates. The functionality like spill , let and lamda just look to me like EXCEL have introduce functions to do what I would automatically write a bit of simple VBA code to do, often more easily and flexibly. As an example of why I find VBA is often much easier use that some of the more complex EXCEL functions have look at the post:
need space between Uppercase

Upvote 0
I used to write and keep a large selection of UDFs. Now I write an occasional Function for an interim process. The LET function and SPILL functions have turned things around for me. Nested IF statements be gone! My work place doctrine is that I have to keep workbooks simple enough so even my neophyte managers and co-workers can use it without VBA. I have macros imbedded in all my workbooks that I use, but only I use them.

Upvote 0
I used to write and keep a large selection of UDFs. Now I write an occasional Function for an interim process. The LET function and SPILL functions have turned things around for me. Nested IF statements be gone! My work place doctrine is that I have to keep workbooks simple enough so even my neophyte managers and co-workers can use it without VBA. I have macros imbedded in all my workbooks that I use, but only I use them.
Yes, with Cybersecurity becoming such a big issue, I am finding more-and-more places that do not allow for the use of VBA (or make you jump through a bunch of hoops to use it). Even the places that do allow it, it is often painful to educate people on how to allow it. So while I love VBA and UDFs, my philospohy is to not to "recreate the wheel" if it already exists as a native Excel function.

Some of the new functions are pretty cool too. In addition to LET, I really like the FITLER function and all the new TEXT functions (i.e. TEXTSPLIT, TEXTJOIN, TEXTAFTER, TEXTBEFORE).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back