Taskmanager shows Excel after been closed

silentwolf

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi guys,

got following question regarding the taskmanager and an instant of Ms Excel after running codes.

I got a form in Access where I declared following variables

VBA Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private mappExcel As Excel.Application
Private mwkbExcel As Excel.Workbook
Private mwksExcel As Excel.Worksheet
Private mrngExcel As Excel.Range
Private mlastRow As Long
'
'

Below the code I am using..

Code:
Private Sub btnAction_Click()
    Select Case btnAction.Caption
        Case "Open"
            If MsgBox("Datei öffnen?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
'                OpenExcelFile (Me!txtFilePath.Value)        ' If I use this code the Taskmanager gets cleared

OpenExcelFileM (Me!txtFilePath.Value)      'With This code the Taskmanager keeps an instant of Excel
            Else
                Exit Sub
            End If

Case "Update"
            If MsgBox("Datei aktualisieren?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
                UpdateCSVFile (Me!txtFilePath.Value)
            Else
                Exit Sub
            End If

End Select

End Sub

Code:
Public Function OpenExcelFile(strFilePath As String) As Boolean
    Dim appExcel As Excel.Application
    Dim myWorkbook As Excel.Workbook
    Dim myWorkSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Set appExcel = HoleAnwendung("Excel.Application")

If appExcel Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Kein Excel gefunden!", vbCritical, p_cstrAppTitel
        Exit Function
    Else
        Set myWorkbook = appExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFilePath, Local:=True)
        Set myWorkSheet = myWorkbook.Worksheets(1)

appExcel.Visible = True
    End If

End Function

Code:
Public Function OpenExcelFileM(strFilePath As String) As Boolean

Set mappExcel = HoleAnwendung("Excel.Application")

If mappExcel Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Kein Excel gefunden!", vbCritical, p_cstrAppTitel
        Exit Function
    Else
        Set mwkbExcel = mappExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFilePath, Local:=True)
        Set mwksExcel = mwkbExcel.Worksheets(1)

mappExcel.Visible = True
    End If

End Function

As mentioned in bold above the code with OpenExcelFileM keeps Excel running in the Taskmanager the OpenExcelFile does clean it out

So I was wondering if someone could tell me what I would need to change in order to be able to use the globel varibles in the form module

Many thanks for your help

Albert

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Not clear what you want or what the issue is. You want to use OpenExcelFile procedure but you want to use the module level variables? Then replace those variable names with the ones you have in the declarations section at the top.

You must be altering the button caption somewhere else?

Upvote 0
Not clear what you want or what the issue is. You want to use OpenExcelFile procedure but you want to use the module level variables? Then replace those variable names with the ones you have in the declarations section at the top.

You must be altering the button caption somewhere else?
Hi thanks for your reply!,

yes I do like to use the varibles in the module level.
Also what I am trying to achieve is somthing like following.

I open an CSV File in "Excel" as Standart. But to make sure it is a file I need if I am not certain I like to be able to open it to view that file.
However if I am using the code which is in the procedure level and I close the workbook manually then the instance in the task manager disapears right after closing that workbook.
If I am using the module level varibles and I close also the file the instance stays open.

I will try to figure it out as you mentioned but tried already without any luck.
Also is there a way of set those varibles to nothing when I close the workbook manually?

Maybe there is after all a better way of doing this?

Cheers

Albert

Upvote 0
The local variables will go out of scope once you leave that function, the public ones will not, that is the idea :)

Set them to Nothing when you do not need hem anymore.

You will also get an Excel instance if the code crashes before closing Excel.

Upvote 0
The local variables will go out of scope once you leave that function, the public ones will not, that is the idea :)

Set them to Nothing when you do not need hem anymore.

Hi Welshgasman,

hmm so it is better to use that code which goes out of scope I guess. There is no way of setting those to nothing is there if you close the workbook and like to use those module declared varibles ist there?
So is there a way of preventing this kind of problem? Or closing a instance from within access or check whether one is still open?

Cheers

Upvote 0
So is there a way of preventing this kind of problem? Or closing a instance from within access or check whether one is still open?
Not that I know of. That crashed instance becomes disconnected from the Excel app I believe.

Upvote 0
Not that I know of. That crashed instance becomes disconnected from the Excel app I believe.
Ah ok thanks welshgasman )
so I will try to use the local varibles instead and than it should do the job at least for the first part I am working on.

Many thanks for your input!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Well you could always set the public variables to Nothing yourself?

Upvote 0
Well you could always set the public variables to Nothing yourself?
Well if I close the excel workbook by myself so to speak then I am not sure how I could set it to nothing?

For example:
If I am not sure if that file is the one I need to update or saveas or any other work that need to be done. I open the file just to be able to view it and to make sure it is correct.

So therefore at the moment I just close it manually in Excel.

What I like to achive is if that file is correct or need to be worked on than I saveit to new location with new filename and update that new file, the old one I like to keep as reference in the old folder.

Maybe there would be a better way of doing it but I just can't seam to think how the correct workflow could be?

Upvote 0
Well if I close the excel workbook by myself so to speak then I am not sure how I could set it to nothing? For example: If I am not sure if that file is the one I need to update or saveas or any other work that need to be done. I open the file just to be able to view it and to make sure it is correct. So therefore at the moment I just close it manually in Excel. What I like to achive is if that file is correct or need to be worked on than I saveit to new location with new filename and update that new file, the old one I like to keep as reference in the old folder. Maybe there would be a better way of doing it but I just can't seam to think how the correct workflow could be?

Well I see you have continued this thread over on AWF, so I will leave this as it is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back