text and numbers in same cell, sum of numbers ?

skgurmeet

Dear All,

i have query, please help out.

multiple numbers and text are in single cell which are separated through spaces or comma, is there any formula which can bypass text and add all the numbers in the cell.

For example:

<table style="width: 384px; height: 83px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 125pt;" width="167"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; width: 125pt;" height="20" width="167">red 12, yellow 10, green 5</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-left: medium none; width: 48pt;" align="right" width="64">27</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; border-top: medium none;" height="20">red 3, blue 9</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">12</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; border-top: medium none;" height="20">yellow 21, blue 3</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">24</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Thanks,
Gurmeet

I don't understand the "0"& part or the --
--(LEFT(B2:H2,1)="D")): is checking if the cells have a "D" in position 1 (starting on the left) within the range of cells b2 to h2. Again I don't understand the --.

Hi, does this help with the understanding at all?

p.s. the 0& was an attempt to stop the formula failing if you have blank cells in the range.

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHI
2N12N12N15N12N12D12D12Comment
3Step 112121512121212< This is text as the MID function returns text
4Step 212121512121212< This performs a arithmetic operation to coerce the text values to number (+0 or *1 would also work)
5Step 3TRUETRUETRUETRUETRUEFALSEFALSE< These are Boolean values
6Step 41111100< This performs a arithmetic operation to coerce the Boolean values to 1 (TRUE) 0 (FALSE)
7Step 5121215121200< This is thePRODUCT of the two arrays
8Step 663< This is the SUM of the PRODUCT of the two arrays
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3=MID(B2,2,99)
B4=--B3
B5=LEFT(B2,1)="N"
B6=--B5
B7=B4*B6
B8=SUM(B7:H7)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
That all helps a lot - thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I love this forum but I have a fear of blindly copy/pasting sometimes!

Kind regards,

Dan

Upvote 0
@Dan - Glad it helped and welcome to the Forum :)

Upvote 0
can this formula be adjusted to =SUMNUMS(A1:A500) in order to get a final tally of all numbers within a range of column A while continuing to ignore letters?

...see quote below

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A single cell function would be quite complex... you could use a basic UDF to do the same

Code:
Function SumNums(rngS As Range, Optional strDelim As String = " ") As Double
    Dim vNums As Variant, lngNum As Long
    vNums = Split(rngS, strDelim)
    For lngNum = LBound(vNums) To UBound(vNums) Step 1
        SumNums = SumNums + Val(vNums(lngNum))
    Next lngNum
End Function

Below we use space as delimiter as this precedes numbers in the strings

Sheet5

AB
1red 12, yellow 10, green 527
2red 3, blue 912
3red0

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:167px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=SUMNUMS(A1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

can this formula be adjusted to =SUMNUMS(A1:A500) in order to get a final tally of all numbers within a range of column A while continuing to ignore letters?

Upvote 0

Hi, something like this:

Rich (BB code):
Function SumNums(rngS As Range, Optional strDelim As String = " ") As Double
'http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/505622-text-numbers-same-cell-sum-numbers-4.html
    Dim vNums As Variant, lngNum As Long, c As Range
    For Each c In rngS
    vNums = Split(c, strDelim)
        For lngNum = LBound(vNums) To UBound(vNums) Step 1
            SumNums = SumNums + Val(vNums(lngNum))
        Next lngNum
    Next c
End Function

Excel 2012
A
1red 12, yellow 10, green 5
2red 3, blue 9
3red
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4=SumNums(A1:A3)

Upvote 0
Hi there,
i know this is an old thread but i have been went thru from page 1 and I've got no answer for my question, i hope the experts will help me out with my query. Many thanks in advance and i'm sorry if the question is abit stupid. Ok now lets get to the question.

i have a set of text in a cell with formula and the results are in numbers, so i would like to subtotal the result from that cell adding upto the next 3 cell, is that possible ?

this is a tracking sheet for the course that is attended by my team members

Iron Man (Total = 26 Hrs) <-- Here is the total hrs that i would like to archive
Dept Core = (Total = 24 Hrs) <- Formula [="Dept Core = (Total = "& (SUM(Y3:Y19)) & " Hrs)" ]IEE = 2 HrsOrganization Growth = 0 Hrs
-1-
24--
---
---
---
-1-
---

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assuming you have shown columns Y:AA and there are similar formulas in Z2 and AA2, then this formula in Y1 should get you the result you want. If not, you may need to give more details.

="Iron Man (Total = "&SUM(Y3:AA19)&" Hrs)"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear Peter, many thanks for the prompt response, i appreciate it a lot. so basically i just have to use the same formula which i use for the dept core is it ? i though of using something like this : =SUMPRODUCT(--("0"&MID(Y2:AA2,2,99)),--(LEFT(Y2:AA2,1)="Total"))
but i could get the result and keeps showing #VALUE ! error.

thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
thanks in advance :)
Does that mean you still need help and that the direct method I suggested doesn't work for some reason?

If so, I would want to know why the direct method doesn't work, what your actual row 2 contains (from column Y) and what you were attempting with the below formula structure as it doesn't appear to relate to what is shown in post #37
i though of using something like this : =SUMPRODUCT(--("0"&MID(Y2:AA2,2,99)),--(LEFT(Y2:AA2,1)="Total"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back