Text Extraction Formula

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I have text that needs to be extracted from a cell and did come close but can't quite get there.

There is text in a cell and what I need to do is extract the pound amount that has been mentioned so for example

If I have as text "the board approves £657k though no more..." I would like to attain the £657k. There is always a £ sign and then the amount.

What I manged was =MID(C4,SEARCH("£",C4),7) but the issue here is I have added 7 as a guesstimate and this sometimes brings in additional letters as in the first result I have £657k t. If I could get it to stop at the space after the amount so at the next space after the numeric value that would be great.

In the last example there is a full stop so this is bringing in £87k., reason I mention this is that the next space is after the . but I can always do a find and replace with this.

TextResultExpected Result
The board approves £657k though no more till the next project milestone has been attained£657k t£657k
This time around funds that are made available are £7.6m but shall keep an eye on all funds.£7.6m b£7.6m
We agree to the drawdown of 80% of funds which are £676k£676k£676k
there is to be no movement on the release of funds from, current spend stands at £87k. This shall be reviewed again next gathering£87k.£87k

Help is appreciated as always

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
You could use:

Excel Formula:
=MID(A1,FIND("£",A1),FIND(" ",A1&" ",FIND("£",A1))-FIND("£",A1))

Upvote 0
How about
Fluff.xlsm
AB
2The board approves £657k though no more till the next project milestone has been attained£657k
3This time around funds that are made available are £7.6m but shall keep an eye on all funds.£7.6m
4We agree to the drawdown of 80% of funds which are £676k£676k
5there is to be no movement on the release of funds from, current spend stands at £87k. This shall be reviewed again next gathering£87k.
Master
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=FILTERXML("<k><m>"&SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","</m><m>")&"</m></k>","//m[contains(.,'£')]")

Upvote 0
Solution
How about
Fluff.xlsm
AB
2The board approves £657k though no more till the next project milestone has been attained£657k
3This time around funds that are made available are £7.6m but shall keep an eye on all funds.£7.6m
4We agree to the drawdown of 80% of funds which are £676k£676k
5there is to be no movement on the release of funds from, current spend stands at £87k. This shall be reviewed again next gathering£87k.
Master
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=FILTERXML("<k><m>"&SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","</m><m>")&"</m></k>","//m[contains(.,'£')]")

Amazing exactly what I was after! Thank you !

Upvote 0
You could use:

Excel Formula:
=MID(A1,FIND("£",A1),FIND(" ",A1&" ",FIND("£",A1))-FIND("£",A1))

Thanks Rory! I was actually going to ask if there was a non 365 way using MID, FIND, LEFT etc for learning purposes.

Ps I would mark both as a solution but am only allowed to choose one, for some reason I didn't see your response till after...

Upvote 0
The formula I suggested is a non 365 way, as your profile shows you are using 2016. ;)

Upvote 0
The formula I suggested is a non 365 way, as your profile shows you are using 2016. ;)
Oh apologies I thought FILTERXML was part of the new school! Thanks for letting me know! Showing my age here anything not using LEFT, RIGHT, MID I see as a new function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back