Text Field vs. Active X text Box

michaelsmithgall

I seem to have a complex solution to what I thought was a simple problem

my worksheet has a cell that needs to allow free form notes. The problem is that the cell is a merged cell and as such it doesnt auto expand for the wrap text function so when printed you may only have 3 lines of a 10 line note.

I cant seem to get the cell to expand so i thought i would just make it a textbox. But when i go to the form controls on 2007 my Text Field box is greyed out and unusable. I can put the active X Text Box in but it also does not automatically expand (or i dont know how). I need this to be as idiot proof as possible and have to lock down the remainder of the screen so i cant even rely on letting the user stretch or double click the cell. (sad i know but its true)

any solutions to this? also why is the Text Field greyed out?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
You should use a drawing Textbox from the Insert tab instead of the Forms one (which you can't use).

Upvote 0
Rorya, That doesnt seem to work.I can add the text box that way but still when you type in it the box doesnt grow. also if you do leave it where the user can grab the sides and stetch it the box floats on top of the page and covers the cells below.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back