Text in background

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got an issue in Excel, where I put a formula in a cell ie this is in cell E2 =IF(B3=B2, "CONSECUTIVE", "") but the word "CONSECUTIVE" is showing in the background of that cell next to the actual formula result!

So the word "CONSECUTIVE" appears twice"

For context, the values in B3 and B2 are both 1, in this case, so the formula result is correct. But I'm wondering why there's additional text showing in the cell - like there's a bug in the file. Has anyone else experienced this???

NB if I go to cell E2 and click into it then press enter, the second instance of the word "CONSECUTIVE" disappears but then an illegible version of the formula appears in it's place! Is there a solution for this?

The problem appears to go away if you swtich between Excel and your web browser, but it reappears if you click into the cell with the issue then press enter....

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
What I understand from your description, there could be two possible reasons/solutions

# It could be a cell formatting issue of some kind
# Else, best would be to Close Excel programme completely and then reopen the file and check if problem persists - Most of the times this small exercise solves some background problems. Try it and revert.

Upvote 0
What I understand from your description, there could be two possible reasons/solutions

# It could be a cell formatting issue of some kind
# Else, best would be to Close Excel programme completely and then reopen the file and check if problem persists - Most of the times this small exercise solves some background problems. Try it and revert.
Ok, I’ll try that later. Thanks.

The odd thing is that this isn’t the first time it’s happened, so I was wondering if there’s a root cause that can be fixed…?

Upvote 0
It occasionally happens in my machine too. I have tried all methods with formatting - None works. Only workable solution was the one I suggested you too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back