Text to next Cell...

Stan_C

I came up with a formula for this and I am probably over thinking this but, it fails about 500 cells down.

Col. (A) I have Item data that are names: Col. (B) I have data but would like b1=a1, b16=a2, b31=a3

So with column (B) +15 rows to = (A) +1

2% Milk2% Milk
AmbrosiaRegular
American Chop Suey3-4gm Na (NAS)
Apple Pie2gm Na
Bacon StripLow Fat/Low Chol
Baked BeansFiber Restricted
Baked Chicken BreastConsistent Carb
Baked Ham Pineapple SauceCardiac Diabetic
BBQ Pork on Bun2 gm K
Beef Barley & Veg SoupLactose Restricted
Beef LasagnaVegetarian LactoOvo
Beef Liver & OnionsGluten Restricted
Braised CabbageRenal CSC
Bread PuddingSmall Portion
BroccoliLarge Portion
Broccoli & Cheese QuicheAmbrosia
Brown BreadRegular
Brownie3-4gm Na (NAS)
Brussels Sprouts2gm Na
Carnival CakeLow Fat/Low Chol
Carrot BisqueFiber Restricted
Carrot Raisin SaladConsistent Carb
Cheese OmeletCardiac Diabetic
Chicken Patty2 gm K
Chicken Rice SoupLactose Restricted
Chicken TendersVegetarian LactoOvo
Chilled PineappleGluten Restricted
Cole SlawRenal CSC
ColeslawSmall Portion
CornbreadLarge Portion
Cottage Cheese Fruit PlateAmerican Chop Suey
Cream of WheatRegular
Diced Beets3-4gm Na (NAS)
Egg Salad Sandwich2gm Na
Eggplant Roulette w/ CheeseLow Fat/Low Chol
French Dip SandwichFiber Restricted
French FriesConsistent Carb
French Toast Slice w/ SyrupCardiac Diabetic
Fresh Whole Banana2 gm K
Fruit ToppingLactose Restricted
Garden Salad - Italian DressingVegetarian LactoOvo
Ginger CookiesGluten Restricted
GravyRenal CSC
Green BeansSmall Portion
Grilled Cheese SandwichLarge Portion
Ham Salad SandwichApple Pie

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I hope this makes sense and sorry for the bad table, my Excel to Forum add on is on my other laptop.

Thank you

Because I have to go down about 400 times..... some like 6,000 cells and do not want to scroll or input data like that over and over again.
Okay, I'm confused (again). For some reason you and I are on different wavelengths regarding the black text values in Column B, so I'll ask again... where did they come from... another column via a formula or did you type them in? Maybe if I ask this question, I'll get the answer I need in order to answer your original question... select cell B3... look at the Formula Bar... post what you see in the Formula Bar in a response to this thread.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Okay, I'm confused (again). For some reason you and I are on different wavelengths regarding the black text values in Column B, so I'll ask again... where did they come from... another column via a formula or did you type them in? Maybe if I ask this question, I'll get the answer I need in order to answer your original question... select cell B3... look at the Formula Bar... post what you see in the Formula Bar in a response to this thread.

Okay..... The only cells that will have a formula are the cells b1, b16 etc....... The cells in between are just copied cells, hand typed.

Upvote 0
Okay..... The only cells that will have a formula are the cells b1, b16 etc....... The cells in between are just copied cells, hand typed.

Then there is no formula solution possible besides the one I gave you (there is a VB solution... more about that in a second). Perhaps you are not aware, but a cell can only contain one thing... either a constant (think hand-typed or copy/pasted) or a formula, but not both. This means there is no way to put a formula in a cell and copy it down without destroying the contents of the cell being copied over. So, you cannot have "Regular" in B2, put a formula in B1 that reproduces A1, copy the formula down and still have the text constant "Regular" in B2. The only way that would work (and the reason behind my insistence on where the black text values in Column B came from) is if the text in B2:B15, B17:B30:B32:etc came from a formula itself... then we could produce a combination formula that would still retrieve the text they originally came from for those cells and pickup the values from Column A for the rows you indicated in your first message. Anyway, here is a VB macro solution that will insert the appropriate formulas in B1, B16, B31, etc. while leaving the existing values in the other cells of Column B alone...

Code:
Sub InsertColumnAValuesEvery15RowsInColumnB()
  Dim X As Long, LastRowA As Long, LastRowB As Long
  Const StartRow As Long = 1
  LastRowA = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  LastRowB = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = StartRow To LastRowA
    If X < LastRowB Then
      Cells(15 * X - 14, "B").Formula = "=A" & X
    End If
  Next
End Sub
A couple of notes about this function. Because you did say, I had to guess... one, the formula inserted into B1, B16, B31, etc. overwrites the value currently existing in that cell (that is, the exising cell value is lost) and, two, no formulas are inserted into any cells past the row containing the last piece of data in Column B. If these restictions are not right for you, post back telling us what should happen and I'll adjust the code accordingly.

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (InsertColumnAValuesEvery15RowsInColumnB) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. To make things simpler for you (especially if you will need to call this macro often), when you select the macro from the list, before clicking Run, you can click the Options button and assign a keyboard shortcut to it first and then use that keyboard shortcut the next time you want to run the macro.

Upvote 0
Then there is no formula solution possible besides the one I gave you (there is a VB solution... more about that in a second). Perhaps you are not aware, but a cell can only contain one thing... either a constant (think hand-typed or copy/pasted) or a formula, but not both. This means there is no way to put a formula in a cell and copy it down without destroying the contents of the cell being copied over. So, you cannot have "Regular" in B2, put a formula in B1 that reproduces A1, copy the formula down and still have the text constant "Regular" in B2. The only way that would work (and the reason behind my insistence on where the black text values in Column B came from) is if the text in B2:B15, B17:B30:B32:etc came from a formula itself... then we could produce a combination formula that would still retrieve the text they originally came from for those cells and pickup the values from Column A for the rows you indicated in your first message. Anyway, here is a VB macro solution that will insert the appropriate formulas in B1, B16, B31, etc. while leaving the existing values in the other cells of Column B alone...

Code:
Sub InsertColumnAValuesEvery15RowsInColumnB()
  Dim X As Long, LastRowA As Long, LastRowB As Long
  Const StartRow As Long = 1
  LastRowA = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  LastRowB = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = StartRow To LastRowA
    If X < LastRowB Then
      Cells(15 * X - 14, "B").Formula = "=A" & X
    End If
  Next
End Sub
A couple of notes about this function. Because you did say, I had to guess... one, the formula inserted into B1, B16, B31, etc. overwrites the value currently existing in that cell (that is, the exising cell value is lost) and, two, no formulas are inserted into any cells past the row containing the last piece of data in Column B. If these restictions are not right for you, post back telling us what should happen and I'll adjust the code accordingly.

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (InsertColumnAValuesEvery15RowsInColumnB) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. To make things simpler for you (especially if you will need to call this macro often), when you select the macro from the list, before clicking Run, you can click the Options button and assign a keyboard shortcut to it first and then use that keyboard shortcut the next time you want to run the macro.

I thank you for the work that you have input into this question. I have figured my issue out, stuck with the simple solution of adding another row to make the division even so the formula will not mess up past 500.v Again thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arm56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back