Text / Words on both X-axis VS Y-axis

Manohar M G

Board Regular
Hello Everyone,

Is there any possibilities to create a chart with Text / Words X-Axis VS Y-Axis.

Column - 1 : ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO (Session name)
Column - 2: Upcoming, On-Go, Not Started, On-Go, On-Go (Status.).

Need to create a chart based on the session's status.

Could anyone help me on that.

Thanks in Advance.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
can you make a dummy chart to show what you mean?

Upvote 0
can you make a dummy chart to show what you mean?
Hi Sijpie,

Thanks for responding.

I couldn't able to make the chart.

In general, all the charts on X-axis there will be string / text / words and in other side Y-axis there will be value 0.1,0.2,0.3.. / 1,2,3,4... etc.

I want both the side X-axis and Y-axis should be string / text / words.

X axis should be ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO (Session name)
Y axis should be displayed as Upcoming, On-Go, Not Started, On-Go, On-Go (Status.). (rather than values needs to be display it as string / text / words).

On Y-axis only 3 types are there (Upcoming, On-Go, Not Started) ; and X-axis there are multiple sessions name

Need to display for ABC the pointer (in the chart) should be display it in Upcoming; DEF --> On-Go; GHI --> Not Started; JKL--> On-Go; and MNO --> On-Go.

Mainly both the X-axis and Y-axis needs to be in string / text / words.

Appreciate your response.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Whoa, the forum went down for a while as I was writing my response.

Anyway, you can't plot data that consists of text for both X and Y. But here is one way to fake it.

I have two data ranges, one with session status data, and the other with the data needed to fudge the vertical axis labels.

The first data set has session and status, and I use a match formula to compute Y, which matches the item in the status column with the status labels, then subtracts 0.5.

I selected the blue shaded ranges (select the first, then hold Ctrl while selecting the second) and inserted a line chart (right end of top row below).

I selected the horizontal axis, pressed Ctrl+1 to open the formatting task pane, and selected Vertical Axis Crosses at Maximum Category (moving the labels to the right of the chart).

I copied the yellow shaded data, selected the chart, and used Paste Special to add the data as a new series, categories in first column, series names in first row. This gave me the orange series of three markers (middle of the second row).

Then I right-clicked on the added series, selected Change Series Chart Type, and in the dialog, selected the clustered bar chart option.

Excel didn't automatically add the secondary vertical axis, so I clicked the little plus sign icon next to the chart, clicked on Axes, and checked the unchecked box. The labels appear on the right of the chart (leftmost chart in the bottom row).

The labels are running in the wrong direction, so I selected the axis and checked the box for Categories in reverse order. I also formatted the secondary horizontal axis (the numeric labels which moved from the top to the bottom of the chart) and selected Vertical Axis Crosses Automatic (which moved the status labels to the left).

Finally I selected those secondary horizontal numeric axis labels and pressed Delete. I also formatted the secondary vertical axis to use no line, then used the little plus sign again, this time clicking on gridlines and checking Primary Major Vertical (bottom right chart).

ChartWithTwoTextAxes.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back