Text x-axis in Bybble chart

rodys

Hi there,

I would like to create a bubble chart to compare changes in financial performance between quarters. The bubble chart shows on the y-axis the EBIT, and the bubble size is the total amount sold. I would like to show on the x-axis the actual name of the location. I got as far as the screenshot enclosed but manually overwritten the x-axis with a text box. Does anyone know how to automatically load the names of the locations on the x-axis?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-23 192246.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-23 192246.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 21

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
We'll use a helper series for this. The first data range below is my bubble chart data, and the top right chart is the bubble chart.

The second data range is for the helper series. Copy this range (4 rows x 3 columns), select the chart, and select Paste Special from the Paste dropdown on the Home tab. Select New Series, By Columns, Categories in First Column, then click OK. A set of tiny bubbles appears along the X axis in the bottom left chart. I have changed the Y-axis minimum to zero, but if you want a different axis minimum, change the axis minimum to that and also change the zeros in the copied data range to the desired axis minimum.

Format the X-axis data labels so they use a custom number format of " " (that's right, a space enclosed by double quotes), which hides the axis labels but leaves a space for your custom labels. Select the tiny bubble series, click the plus icon floating next to the chart, click the arrow next to Data Labels, and select More Options. Check X Value and uncheck the other Label Options, then select Label Position Below. This is the bottom right chart.

Finally, you need to format the tiny bubbles to use no outline and no fill color (not shown).

BubbleChartTextXAxis.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back