Neep help setting up table for plot graph

supermom28115

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
It has been a long time since I have had access to my data and PC but I am back and need help from the experts.
I have a growing list of data from genealogy research. I would like to take my data given a subjects life span on the X axis in years major and months minor and a set of locations on the Y axis. The Y axis I will take what I can get but my dream would be to have the major units states in alphabetical order with minor units counties in alphabetical order, but I will take just states in any order. The data I need to plot with tags consists of NAME, OCCUPATION, PHYSICAL LOCATION, MAIL/RESIDENCE. Four categories of information with tags so that I can tag an occupation recorded on a certain date in a certain place and the tag names the occupation. Name used throughout a subjects life is a major detail in genealogy and I would like to be able to have each tag show how the name was recorded in each record. Sometimes physical location and residence or mailing address are different, therefore I need to differentiate the two in my graph. I would like to make a file to use as a template for use repeatedly in my research. I can provide a sample set of data if it is needed. I have tried a few times to organize the data and use INSERT CHART however excel never seems to arrange the chart the way I want from the table I create. I feel I may be setting the table up incorrectly or am missing a step in setting up the chart. I have not saved any of my attempts so will be starting from scratch. Willing to work in VBA if necessary but have very little experience with PIvot Tables.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hochanz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back