Thick border when new group starts

shaniwafa

Hi,
I am reaching out to seek guidance on an issue I am encountering in managing a comprehensive data sheet containing various family details organized into groups. Specifically, I need to insert a thick horizontal border whenever a new family's information begins within the specified range of A1:Z26.

To provide some context, in column T, the cell contains the letter 'H' to signify the start of a new family. It is essential that the rest of the gridlines remain unchanged. As I navigate this task within Excel 2010, I am considering two potential approaches: conditional formatting or VBA coding.

Given the constraints of the Excel version, I am seeking advice on the most straightforward method to accomplish this task. Would it be more efficient to utilize conditional formatting or implement VBA coding? I am open to your expertise and recommendations on the matter.

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to consider my inquiry. I look forward to your guidance and suggestions.

Shaniwafa

I am not a huge fan of using conditional formatting on the main data sheet since it a effectively volatile and slows down performance.
If you want to go ahead anyway, you can achieve it by reversing the logic.
1) Apply a thick border to all the rows (I used the bottom of the row)
2) In conditional formatting use if the current row value = the next row value the "remove" the bottom border

PS: The borders didn't really show thick & bold in the XL2BB but I thought it might be more useful than a picture

Book1
ABCDEFG
2Grouping
3a
4b
5b
6b
7c
8c
9e
10e
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A3:G10Expression=$A3=$A4textNO

View attachment 107953
Hi,
Thanks for all your suggestions and help
Regards
Shani

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back