Import an Excel file while maintaining alignment with the user comment column

pivotsmoak

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
As an avid and devoted follower and subscriber to your YouTube channel, I've always admired the insights you share. Today, I'm reaching out for the first time with a challenge. I believe your expertise could help me navigate.
Your tutorials have significantly elevated my skills as an average Excel and VBA user, particularly in the realm of analyzing and crafting dashboards for my team. Your guidance has been invaluable, and I now turn to you with a specific issue. I am analyzing and creating dashboards for my team, and your videos have been instrumental in helping me build more robust, dynamic, and user-friendly dashboards.
I am writing to seek your expertise on a specific problem I’m encountering. My data model involves a file with over 10,000 rows and 28 columns, and I import this sizable data set every week for my team to review and make necessary comments and modifications. The columns/headers are constant. Given the limited number of licenses to access the data on the server, I download the data file weekly so that the team can keep current with each of the tasks.
The enclosed file is a representation of my data model with fewer columns and rows. The enclosed table tries to simulate the problem I have.
The challenge arises when new data is imported, as it tends to overwrite the existing data, excluding team comments that are located outside the table range. This results in misaligned comments when additions or removals occur in the master file. Also, not knowing if the updates from the previous week have been updated on the server.
To address this issue, I am seeking a method that accomplishes the following:
Preserves user comments and aligns them with the correct line item when new data is imported.
Highlights any modifications made by users to the previous file in any of the data fields that have not been updated on the server.
I am hopeful that you can provide guidance or suggestions on how to achieve these objectives. Your expertise has been invaluable to me thus far, and I eagerly anticipate your insights on this matter.
Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please let me know if you have any questions.

House ID:EstPrStrtAct. PrSrtEst. CostAct. CostContractorStatusCommentsHcomments
H1232/10/20232/20/2023$225$275JimCompletedgreat job - replaced front porchreplaced front porch - great job, professional, took longer than we excepted
H1282/28/20233/10/2023$280$355JoeCompletedvery professional - install ceil fan & mount tv on back porchinstall ceil fan & mount tv on back porch - very professional
H2203/1/20233/11/2023$500$450JimCompletedgreat job -installed new windowinstalled new window
H2303/15/20233/25/2023$325$425BillCompletedvery professional - replace kitchen sick & faucetreplace kitchen sink & faucet - very professional
H3303/21/20233/31/2023$1,000$1,120BillCompletedgood job and finish ahead of schedule - installed new flooringinstalled new flooring - good job and finish ahead of schedule - little expensive
H1252/10/20232/20/2023$225$275JimIn-progressgreat job - replaced front porch
H1272/28/20233/10/2023$280$355JayCompletedvery professional - install ceil fan & mount tv on back porch
H2233/1/20233/11/2023$700$650JimCompletedgreat job -installed new windowinstalled new window
H2313/15/20233/25/2023$350$450BillCompletedvery professional - replace kitchen sick & faucetreplace kitchen sink & faucet - very professional
H3333/21/20233/31/2023$1,010$1,130BillIn-progressgood job and finish ahead of schedule - installed new flooringinstalled new flooring - good job and finish behind of schedule - little expensive
H1292/10/20232/20/2023$325$375JayCompletedgreat job - replaced front porch
H2292/28/20233/10/2023$290$365JoeCompletedvery professional - install ceil fan & mount tv on back porch
H2273/1/20233/11/2023$500$450JimCompletedgreat job -installed new window
H2353/15/20233/25/2023$325$425BillCompletedvery professional - replace kitchen sick & faucet
H3323/21/20233/31/2023$1,100$1,220JayCompletedgood job and finish ahead of schedule - installed new flooringinstalled new flooring - good job and finish ahead of schedule - little expensive

Best Regards,
pivotsmoak

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: https://www.excelforum.com/excel-ge...g-alignment-with-the-user-comment-column.html
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Import an Excel file while maintaining alignment with the user comment column
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
This is my first time posting a question on any forum and did not know how the process works. I don't have a problem with complying with your rules in the future. I was just looking for solution. My goal is not to waste anyone's times.

Upvote 0
Cheers. No problem so long as you look at the rule (all Excel forums have a similar rule) and understand the reason for it. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back