This formula works but I don't understand...

wizardmagu

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using this formula but I don't understand the logic. It is an array formula

I have column BC that has many duplicated cells. Column H is a date field and it returns a "1" on my new column on the most recent (MAX) date based on column BC. What I dont understand is the part in the formula where the * is at. Any help would be appreciated.

{=IF(MAX(($BC$2:$BC$7728=BC2)*$H$2:$H$7728)=H2,1,0)}

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
This is an array formula. You can tell by the {braces} around it that you see in the formula box. An array formula processes every element in an array. It's a little bit like a loop.

Here is how it works from the inside out. This part

$BC$2:$BC$7728=BC2

checks every cell in $BC$2:$BC$7728 to see if if is equal to BC2. If it is equal to BC2, that expression returns TRUE. When that result is used in arithmetic, it acts like a 1; when it's FALSE it acts like a 0.

($BC$2:$BC$7728=BC2)*$H$2:$H$7728

Now multiply either 0 or 1 from the result above times each corresponding cell in $H$2:$H$7728. This creates an array. For the ones that are equal to BC2, it populates the array with the corresponding cell in $H$2:$H$7728; otherwise it populates a 0. This array is an intermediate result internal to the formula; you will never actually see it.

MAX(($BC$2:$BC$7728=BC2)*$H$2:$H$7728)

Now it takes the maximum value of that array. So that is the maximum of all values from $H$2:$H$7728 where the same rows in BC matches BC2.

If that maximum value equals 2, return 1, otherwise 0.

It's hard for me to give you a better explanation that is relevant to what your data means, because you didn't describe what your data means. But hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the response. Explanation does help. I just wasn't sure if I needed to have the * in that formula and what it was doing.

Upvote 0
Yes you need it, and it is how the formula associates a matching cell to the corresponding date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back