This is probably "stupid simple" but i'm struggling anyway

Mr_Ragweed

Board Regular
Hello. I'm trying to write a simple macro that loops through each row a data on a single sheet. If the value in Column C is "Percent" i need to select range "D:M" on that row and convert the number format to percent. If the value in Column C is "Dollars" in need to select the range and convert the number format to dollars.
My code is below:

Code:
Sheets("ProductFormulas").Select
ActiveSheet.Range("D:M").Name = "displays"
For I = 2 To NewFinalRow
    If ActiveSheet.Cells(NewFinalRow, 3).Value = "Percent" Then
      ActiveSheet.Range("displays").Select
      Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00%"
        ElseIf ActiveSheet.Cells(NewFinalRow, 3).Value = "Dollars" Then
        ActiveSheet.Range("displays").Select
        Selection.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00_);[Red]($#,##0.00)"
    End If
Next I

The problem is the enire columns D:M are being formatted as one instead of formatting each row.

Any help is much appreciated.Thank You.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If the value in Column C is "Percent" i need to select range "D:M" on that row and convert the number format to percent. If the value in Column C is "Dollars" in need to select the range and convert the number format to dollars.
There is a much easier way to do this using no VBA code. Just use Conditional Formatting (it is designed to do things like this!)

Upvote 0
Great point Joe4!
I dont think i can in this instance however. This is part of a much larger macro that involves userinterfaces. I need to run this on the "NewFinalRow" each time a row is added to a results sheet.
I see that my original post phrased it as if to run on a whole sheet. Running on the whole results sheet each time is less than efficient, but in this case i need effective more than efficient.
Therfore:
Option #1: Format the new row after it is copied to the result sheet
Option #2: Format each row on the result sheet each time a new row is added

The result sheet is in the background anyway until the user is finshed, so I will turn off the screen updating to help speed it along if option #2 is the route that gets taken.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I would think Option 1 would be preferable, as it is very inefficient to run your code on all rows multiple times unnecessarily.

Here is a block of code that will format the last row (based on the entry in column C). So if you could run this each time a new row is added, it should do what you want.
Code:
    Dim myLastRow As Long

'Find last added row but looking for last row in column C with entry
    myLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row

'Determine how to format columns D-M based on entry in column C
    Select Case Cells(myLastRow, "C")
        Case "Percent"
            Range(Cells(myLastRow, "D"), Cells(myLastRow, "M")).NumberFormat = "0.00%"
        Case "Dollars"
            Range(Cells(myLastRow, "D"), Cells(myLastRow, "M")).NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00_);[Red]($#,##0.00)"
    End Select

Upvote 0
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's just beautiful. It works like a dream!!!! I see now how i was messing up my range - i'm always so dang close but "close means zero in VBA" is something else i've learned.
And you dont even have to remember to do an 'End If'. I may try and adapt "case" to some other parts of this project - or at least will certainly remember it for the future!

Thank you fine sir! :cool:

Upvote 0
You're most welcome!:)

Select Case is nice to use when you have more than one value you are checking for. You can do it with multiple or nested IF statements, but they can get a bit messy and tough to read if you have more than one or two.

Upvote 0
Yes i see it now. I do have some lengthy nested If's elsewhere in the project (maybe 10 nests in an If). They all function properly so i hate to go and mess up a good thing - but thats why you save multiple versions.

To play off of your quote signature - I just learned to be a better fisherman!
Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back