THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED ON MONDAY OCT 7

MrExcel

Builders Club Member
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
OK. This was a pretty major disaster. Let me try to explain what happened:

1) Sometime between 11:51 AM and 1:40 PM Eastern time in the U.S., someone deleted all 10,000 userids from our phpbb database.

2) When that happened, the next user to sign up was given userid #1, which is me. Then, userid #2, who is Juan Pablo. etc.

3) When those people posted, they were written to the database as being posted by userid 1 or 2 or 3.

4) Once we realized what was happening, we RESTORED the users table from our last backup. All of a sudden, the post by Joe_NewUser is now written by MrExcel. Luckily, Joe_NewUser is smarter than I am, so it looks OK. My apologies to anyone where an absolute Excel moron owned your userid for 2 hours.

5) Problem: the backup is missing the last 200 users. Anyone new from userid 8906 on September 29th through userid 9136 this morning were all lost.

6) All of the 279 posts from those people are still in the database. Those posts were causing errors if they try to display. We had to add "fake" userids from 8906 through 12000 in order to get the posts to display and to prevent Mary_NewerUser to get one of those numbers that previously belonged to someone else.

7) Apologies to anyone who signed up in the last two weeks. I am a moron for allowing this to happen. Please sign up again. Please find one of your old posts which are now marked as written by unknown. Please e-mail the URL for that post and your new userid and we will manually fix all of your posts.

:cool: Apologies to anyone with a low userid. I am a moron for allowing this to happen. Send me a list of any posts that you know are not yours and we will reassign them to Unknown.

That is what I know right now. We have a lot of work to clean up. I will post more as I discover more. Thanks for your patience.

Bill

4) Once we realized what was happening, we RESTORED the users table from our last backup. All of a sudden, the post by Joe_NewUser is now written by MrExcel. Luckily, Joe_NewUser is smarter than I am, so it looks OK. My apologies to anyone where an absolute Excel moron owned your userid for 2 hours

That's MR. "Excel moron" to you pal. :biggrin:

On 2002-10-07 16:48, NateO wrote:
And the first two posts in the following should be

ryancarver

vs.

Ivan F Moala

http://216.92.17.166/board/viewtopic.php?topic=24517&forum=2&7

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-10-07 16:48

Thanks Nate...glad that got soughted and the OP got a good answer...

Bill,

Don't know if this is anything to do with the problems you experienced, but I discovered themes were'nt being saved. I checked my preferences, and cookies had been disabled. Has the default changed, or was my year up? Fixed now anyway, but thought maybe others may have experienced the same issue.

Regards,

Richard

Another board I frequent has had similiar issues. They use the same software, but they once made an interesting claim: The hosting company got irritated with the bandwidth usage and severed the relationship. Funny thing, the site is basically text, and no file transfers are done.

Not to say it happened with MrExcel. I have no idea what happened with MrExcel.

However, I do have this question: How frequently do hosting companies get pissed off with someone using their allocated bandwidth and unilaterally shut down a site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back