This Workbook event code for Workbook_WindowResize

sspatriots

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning,

Trying to use the event code above to fire when I minimize a screen and again when I maximize it does something else. I was under the impression that since I have this code in the "This Workbook" module that it only applied to the workbook that the code is in. However, if I minimize my workbook and open a different workbook and run some code while that one is sitting minimized, the WindowResize event in the first workbook starts to run and does things to the second workbook I opened that were intended to happen to the original workbook when I maximized it again. How do I avoid this? I'm basically using it to stop code from running while it is minimized and then start again when maximize on the first workbook. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, SS

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
The code that is in the Original ThisWorkbook module, does it use the ThisWorkbook or ActiveWorkbook reference? If you have more than one Workbook open you'll need to specify by name so that code won't run on other Workbooks. You can use an IF statement in the code to make sure it only runs on that Workbook.
VBA Code:
If Workbooks.Name = "YourWorkbookName" Then
'Your code here
End If

Upvote 0
The code that is in the Original ThisWorkbook module, does it use the ThisWorkbook or ActiveWorkbook reference? If you have more than one Workbook open you'll need to specify by name so that code won't run on other Workbooks. You can use an IF statement in the code to make sure it only runs on that Workbook.
VBA Code:
'Your code here
End If
Thanks. I’ll give this a look and get back.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
'Your code here
End If
Started to do this and then realized that the workbook name will change frequently. That is, this workbook that I'm wanting to fire the code on for the window resize event is being used as a template that project managers will copy from a folder and rename the file to the job name they are working on. I was sort of trying to figure that out with my last post. Event though I got through that question and made that work, I couldn't get it to fit into this bigger picture of the problem I have described above. I didn't know if there was a way to store that workbook name as a public variable or something as soon as that original file is opened and refer to that as the "wbk" in the windwow resize event.

Upvote 0
I used a Static variable. It seems to work the way you want.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_WindowResize(ByVal Wn As Window)
Static x As Workbook
Set x = ThisWorkbook

If ThisWorkbook.Name = x.Name Then
    MsgBox "First Book"    'Your code here
End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I have after your suggestion, however, when I open the second file while this is minimized the code tries to past a value in C4 of the file that opened.

VBA Code:

Dim CurrentlyElapsed As Variant, ElapsedTime As Variant

Static x As Workbook
Set x = ThisWorkbook

If ThisWorkbook.Name = x.Name Then

x.Activate

If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Then
'        MsgBox "Maximized " & Wn.Caption

CurrentlyElapsed = Now() - x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E1").Value

ElapsedTime = CurrentlyElapsed + x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4").Value

x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4").Value = ElapsedTime

StartTimer

ElseIf ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Then
'        MsgBox "Minimized " & Wn.Caption

x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E1").Value = Now()

StopTimer

End If

End If

End Sub
C4 of Second File.jpg

Upvote 0
Okay. I want to make sure that I'm operating under the same parameters as you. The Workbook_Resize sub is in a Template? Are you opening a second instance of that template, or just another instance of a Blank Excel file?

Upvote 0
Okay. I want to make sure that I'm operating under the same parameters as you. The Workbook_Resize sub is in a Template? Are you opening a second instance of that template, or just another instance of a Blank Excel file?
Opening a different file altogether. Some of these guys have four or five different files open at a time and all files being unrelated. I just need figure out how to be able to minimize this original file that stops a timer temporarily and then turns it back on when it is maximized without that Window Resize event running on the other workbooks that are opened and seeing that event in the first workbook because it changes the other workbooks I open if this one is minimized. The plan is to let them save this template as whatever project name they are working on, so I was hoping to try and pin down the file name (whatever they save it as) to be the only file that sees the Window Resize event. Thanks SS

Upvote 0
This worked for me.
VBA Code:
Dim CurrentlyElapsed As Variant, ElapsedTime As Variant

If Application.WindowState = xlMaximized Then
        MsgBox "Maximized " & Wn.Caption

'CurrentlyElapsed = Now() - x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E1").Value

'ElapsedTime = CurrentlyElapsed + x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4").Value

'x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4").Value = ElapsedTime

'StartTimer

ElseIf Application.WindowState = xlMinimized Then
        MsgBox "Minimized " & Wn.Caption

'x.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E1").Value = Now()

'StopTimer

End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Actually, it seems the Minimize portion is not working. Stand by.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back