Time in HH:MM:SS

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I’m struggling to solve my problem and hoping you can help. I’ve a column of names in one tab alongside a time (number format e.g 210) which can be given in seconds or hours but currently in minutes sitting in another column in the same tab associated with the respective name to the left, for example times in minutes to run the marathon. In another tab within the same workbook, again I have the same list of names but this time in a different order in one column, and I’m wanting to add the correct time alongside the correct name in a different column, but this time I need the time to be in time format HH:MM:SS. Hopefully this makes sense and someone may be able to help. Thank you

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
the time can be
which can be given in seconds or hours but currently in minutes
how does excel know if its seconds, hours or minutes ?

210 for example

to display the time, in HH:MM:SS would need to convert the 210 but based on what ?

Upvote 0
Hi
I’m struggling to solve my problem and hoping you can help. I’ve a column of names in one tab alongside a time (number format e.g 210) which can be given in seconds or hours but currently in minutes sitting in another column in the same tab associated with the respective name to the left, for example times in minutes to run the marathon. In another tab within the same workbook, again I have the same list of names but this time in a different order in one column, and I’m wanting to add the correct time alongside the correct name in a different column, but this time I need the time to be in time format HH:MM:SS. Hopefully this makes sense and someone may be able to help. Thank you
I just reread the above and wanted to add that it is a formulae I need to pull the times across from the 1st tab to the 2nd tab in the correct place and in the correct HH:MM:SS format. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This
the time can be

how does excel know if its seconds, hours or minutes ?

210 for example

to display the time, in HH:MM:SS would need to convert the 210 but based on what ?
The time is currently in minutes, but if it needed to be in hours or seconds for any formulae to work, I know how to do that so it wouldn’t be an issue. I’d just create another column in the 1st tab and multiply the time in minutes column cells by 60 to obtain a column for the time in seconds for example.

Upvote 0
This

The time is currently in minutes, but if it needed to be in hours or seconds for any formulae to work, I know how to do that so it wouldn’t be an issue. I’d just create another column in the 1st tab and multiply the time in minutes column cells by 60 to obtain a column for the time in seconds for example.
I think I understand what you mean…any number on its own wouldn’t be a known unit would it, so does that mean it’s impossible to do what I need?

Upvote 0
any number on its own wouldn’t be a known unit would it, so does that mean it’s impossible to do what I need?
i think so , unless you can make some assumptions based on the value itself, for example
anything over xxxxx will be seconds
anything over xxxxx will be minutes
otherwise its hours
but i dont know how you would make that call with the data
and they are likely to be just the outliers in the data any way ,
i guess 80% maybe unknown

Upvote 0
i think so , unless you can make some assumptions based on the value itself, for example
anything over xxxxx will be seconds
anything over xxxxx will be minutes
otherwise its hours
but i dont know how you would make that call with the data
and they are likely to be just the outliers in the data any way ,
i guess 80% maybe unknown
I can do hours if excel assumes hours, or days? Would that help or have I missed the point…again.

Upvote 0
i think you are mssing what i saying

you have

which are seconds, minutes, hours ?

Upvote 0
@Support required please
The Mr. Excel message board has a great tool called xl2bb add in (Link below). It allows you to post mini workareas of your worksheet(s). Please post some sanitized data of your values you want to get converted to the elapsed time format. If you can't use the add in, then just post your data as a table.
What @etaf and the forum needs is a good idea of what unit of time your source data is originally captured and recorded in. Please help the forum help you.

Upvote 0
i think you are mssing what i saying

you have

which are seconds, minutes, hours ?
They currently are just values in a column, numbers which to me mean minutes but to excel are simply numbers by what you’ve said earlier. I can use separate columns if needed to convert these to a different number representing seconds, hours or days if excel prefers that.

E.g for 210, =210x60 to get the seconds, =210/60 to get the hours or =210/60/24 to get days.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back