Time series, medium size numeric data (lite to none RDBMS/relationships) visualization and reporting

pavanb

I work with generators and 100MB time series CSV data files are generated every day (250K rows), as shown here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d57qcdkx6087u72/AACv4MqXDmpVrxN-Qci0Pjida?dl=0

I am interested in zooming in/out of chart that has 4 variables plotted against time. Then consolidating these daily logs & charts into 2-3 week summaries. Max, Min, Average on 10 mins or X mins, from the 1 second data above.

The reporting tool should find the minimum & maximum points for these 4 variables and plot all 4, +- 1 minute about the minimum & maximum point.

The above scenario can happen at 3 other sites so I have 3 separate sets of data weekly.

Would like to work in the windows 7 64b environment. A tool needs to demonstrate handling an equivalent 1GB CSV file.
OR 300MB XLSB or the tool’s native/binary format
OR 2 million rows and 10 columns, at a minimum

I realized that my data isn't large but medium/small sized from a hdf5 standpoint. Responsiveness to pan/zoom & reports are important. Pandas, SqlLite, TDMS TDM, Microsoft BI Excel VBA, power pivot, Amazon AWS have been suggested. I don’t need Hadoop, Spark, mapreduce.

A i7 laptop with 200 GB ssd and 20GB memory would be used. Time series data, just numbers, no text or much of RBMS like relationships. Willing to invest in servers & tools.

What are some right tools, resources, plans you suggest? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Do you want the maximum and minimum points to be plotted on the chart or just summarized off to the side?

Upvote 0
Power Query = for consolidating your Files
Power Pivot = to create an analytical model and compress the data (also so it can seat in memory)
Power View = depending on how many points and series you need to plot it might fit your needs

In short, what you're doing might become possible with Power BI. Go ahead and visit the official www.powerbi.com website for more information about the tool and their resources.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back