Snake Eyes

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,
I'm trying to eliminate the "Too many arguments in this formula" but changes I have tried on my own get me either "Formulas is missing opening or closing parenthesis" or "Too Few Arguments in this formula".
Any clarity would be appreciated.
And while on this topic, is there an excel formula syntax primer that I could review that would help me to resolve seemingly simple issues like this?
Many Thanks.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly",M18*AA18/3),IF(T18="Quarterly",M18*AA18),IF(T18="Semi-Annually",M18*AA18*2),IF(T18="Annually",L18),"")

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(T18="Monthly",M18*AA18/3,IF(T18="Quarterly",M18*AA18,IF(T18="Semi-Annually",M18*AA18*2,IF(T18="Annually",L18,""))))

Upvote 0
Thanks Fluff,
But I need the IFERROR statement to eliminate the #VALUE! error when AA18 is blank.

Upvote 0
In that case just wrap the formula in iferror.

Upvote 0
When doing so, I get the Too Few Arguments error...
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly",M18*AA18/3,IF(T18="Quarterly",M18*AA18,IF(T18="Semi-Annually",M18*AA18*2,IF(T18="Annually",L18,"")))))

Upvote 0
You haven't added the 2nd argument, it should be
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly",M18*AA18/3,IF(T18="Quarterly",M18*AA18,IF(T18="Semi-Annually",M18*AA18*2,IF(T18="Annually",L18,"")))),"")

Upvote 0
Given the values you are checking for, this much shorter formula (which does not require IFERROR) will also work...

=SWITCH(LEFT(T18),"M",M18*AA18/3,"Q",M18*AA18,"S",M18*AA18*2,"A",L18,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greetings,
I'm trying to eliminate the "Too many arguments in this formula" but changes I have tried on my own get me either "Formulas is missing opening or closing parenthesis" or "Too Few Arguments in this formula".
Any clarity would be appreciated.
And while on this topic, is there an excel formula syntax primer that I could review that would help me to resolve seemingly simple issues like this?
Many Thanks.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly",M18*AA18/3),IF(T18="Quarterly",M18*AA18),IF(T18="Semi-Annually",M18*AA18*2),IF(T18="Annually",L18),"")
I have fixed your: "too many...[...]... formula", "formulas...[...]...parenthesis, "too few...[...]...formula"; errors with the following formula listed below. Please try it and let me know if it works.
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly", M18*AA18/3, IF(T18="Quarterly", M18*AA18, IF(T18="Semi-Annually", M18*AA18*2, IF(T18="Annually", L18) ) ) ), "" )

As for a syntax primer, see the below Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article on nested IF() functions, though not a syntax primer in and of itself, it does give insight in to the structure of nested IF() functions.:
Link: IF function – nested formulas and avoiding pitfalls - Microsoft Support

P.S.: Thanks to the contributions from: Fluff, Snake Eyes, and Rick Rothstein; solid solutions. :)

Upvote 0
I have fixed your: "too many...[...]... formula", "formulas...[...]...parenthesis, "too few...[...]...formula"
Which is almost exactly what I already posted. ;) Except you didn't include a false argument for the last IF

Upvote 0
Which is almost exactly what I already posted. ;) Except you didn't include a false argument for the last IF
Ah good catch! Yea, I figured it would just result to FALSE without that last FALSE-argument for the last IF()-condition, but didn't consider the whole point of the IFERROR() blank ("") condition was to force a blank ("") entry on ERROR-value, so deducing then, on FALSE result it should also be a blank ("") entry as well. Lol, I've edited the formula below; which if I read your post more thoroughly I would've realized was about the same as yours. ;)
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(T18="Monthly", M18*AA18/3, IF(T18="Quarterly", M18*AA18, IF(T18="Semi-Annually", M18*AA18*2, IF(T18="Annually", L18, "") ) ) ), "" )

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back