Top 3 Items

Sallyz98

First time poster, long time reader :)

Platform: Excel 2010

My report resembles the attached image
o88lmd.jpg

The list is about 40 deep. The data, pulled from a program, is pasted into sheet 1 and everything is countifs into the appropriate cell on sheet 2 for the pretty report you see above.

My new ask to add to my report is a new section that would say China top 3 issues: (300) - 23, (400) 17, (3100) - 3 etc. The another for Japan and other countries. Next month, when the new data is pasted, it would update the top 3 issues per country. The allegation types are all unique and there may be a tie for any of the places.

I'm not comfortable enough with VBA.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You could autofilter to see the top 3 issue for China, hide the Japan columns, and save that as a custom view. Then repeat for Japan.

Upvote 0
You could autofilter to see the top 3 issue for China, hide the Japan columns, and save that as a custom view. Then repeat for Japan.

How would I do that? I also don't want to edit that table, I want the results to show up below the table.

Upvote 0
Create a view with everything exposed: View > Custom Views > Add, call it Normal (or whatever tickles your fancy).

Hide the Japan columns, filter what's left, and create a view called China.

Go back to view Normal, hide the China columns, filter what's left, and create a view called Japan.

Upvote 0
I'm failing miserably. I want the original table to stay as is and this to be another thing under it.

Upvote 0
The original table would be back where it was if you just select the view named Normal, Sally.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm just totally missing it here :( sorry

But in the end, this is a report that I'm printing (as PDF) and handing out to multiple people. I need the top 3 to show up as well as the original table to stay as is.

My Googling (before posting here), showed the answer using index. I've never used index before and was hoping for an easier solution

Upvote 0
You could use the LARGE( function.

So say the values are in A1:A10 - LARGE(A1:A10,1) will return the highest value, 2 for the second and 3 for the third etc...

If you want the Allegation reference in an adjacent cell, use a lookup like INDEX and MATCH;

e.g. INDEX(B1:B10,MATCH(A11,A1:A10,0)) - where B1:B10 contains allegation references and A11 contains the above formula returning the value.

Upvote 0
ABCDEFHI
110000101Top3
220001001N4

<tbody>
</tbody>
In I3:
=COUNTIF($F$2:$F$8;">="&LARGE($F$2:$F$8;$I$2))

In I5:
=IF(ROWS($I$5:I5)<=$I$3;LARGE($F$2:$F$8;ROWS($I$5:I5));"")

In H5:
=IF($I5="";"";INDEX($A$2:$A$8;SMALL(IF($F$2:$F$8=$I5;ROW($F$2:$F$8)-ROW($F$2)+1);COUNTIF($I$5:I5;$I5))))
Enter with Control + Shift + Enter

This method will allow a shared number 3 spot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back