Track Changes In Your Database

Rupert Bennett

I don't remember where I picked up this function to track changes, but I like it because it tracks changes in every form to every data entry control and keeps the changes in one centralized table.
The function works well for me, but only in cases where I am adding a new record. If i make changes to an existing record, i get an error message that says:

2424 The expression you entered has a field, control, or property name that Employee Attendance can't find.
Employee Attendance is the name of my Database.

The function is called from each form as follows:
Call Audit_Trail(Me, "EmployeeID", EmployeeID.Value). Of course the field name would change depending on which form you are auditing.

Here is the code:

Code:
Public Function Audit_Trail(MyForm As Form, UniqID_Field As String, UniqID As String)
On Error GoTo Err_Audit_Trail

'ACC2000: How to Create an Audit Trail of Record Changes in a Form
'http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197592

'Dim MyForm As Form
Dim ctl As Control
Dim ccnt As Control
Dim sUser As String

Dim strSQL As String
Const cQUOTE = """" 'Thats 2 quotes in sequence

Dim action, nullval As String
nullval = "Null"

sUser = Environ("UserName") 'get the users login name

'If new record, record it in audit trail and exit function.
If MyForm.NewRecord = True Then
action = "*** New Record ***"
'Broken down into 4 separate variables for ease of view and troubleshooting
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblAudit ( [User], [DateTime], UniqID_Field, UniqID, Form, [Action])"
strSQL = strSQL & " SELECT " & cQUOTE & sUser & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & Now & cQUOTE & " , "
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & UniqID_Field & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & UniqID & cQUOTE & ", "
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & MyForm.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & action & cQUOTE & ";"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Exit Function
End If

Dim changecnt As Integer
changecnt = 0

'Check each data entry control for change and record old value of the control.
For Each ccnt In MyForm.Controls

Select Case ccnt.ControlType
Case acTextBox, acComboBox, acListBox, acOptionGroup, acCheckBox
If ccnt.Name Like "*" & "txt" & "*" Then GoTo TryNextCCNT 'Skip AuditTrail field.
If (ccnt.Value <> ccnt.OldValue) Or _
(IsNull(ccnt.Value) And Len(ccnt.OldValue) > 0 Or ccnt.Value = "" And Len(ccnt.OldValue) > 0) Then
changecnt = changecnt + 1
End If
End Select

TryNextCCNT:
Next ccnt

If changecnt > 0 Then
gstrReason = InputBox("Reason for change(s)?", "Reason for change(s)?")
End If

'Check each data entry control for change and record old value of the control.
For Each ctl In MyForm.Controls

'Only check data entry type controls.
Select Case ctl.ControlType
Case acTextBox, acComboBox, acListBox, acOptionGroup, acCheckBox
If ctl.Name Like "*" & "txt" & "*" Then GoTo TryNextControl 'Skip AuditTrail field.
If ctl.Value <> ctl.OldValue Then
action = "*** Updated Record ***"

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblAudit ( [User], [DateTime], UniqID_Field, UniqID, Form, Field, Prev_Value, New_Value, [Action], Reason)"
strSQL = strSQL & " SELECT " & cQUOTE & sUser & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & Now & cQUOTE & " , "
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & UniqID_Field & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & UniqID & cQUOTE & ", "
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & MyForm.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.OldValue & cQUOTE
strSQL = strSQL & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.Value & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & action & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & gstrReason & cQUOTE & ";"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

'If old value is Null and new value is not Null
ElseIf IsNull(ctl.OldValue) And Len(ctl.Value) > 0 Or ctl.OldValue = "" And Len(ctl.Value) > 0 Then
action = "*** Added Info to Record ***"

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblAudit ( [User], [DateTime], UniqID_Field, UniqID, Form, Field, Prev_Value, New_Value, [Action])"
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & MyForm.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & nullval & cQUOTE
strSQL = strSQL & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.Value & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & action & cQUOTE & ";"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

'If new value is Null and old value is not Null
ElseIf IsNull(ctl.Value) And Len(ctl.OldValue) > 0 Or ctl.Value = "" And Len(ctl.OldValue) > 0 Then
action = "*** Removed Info to Record ***"

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblAudit ( [User], [DateTime], UniqID_Field, UniqID, Form, Field, Prev_Value, New_Value, [Action], Reason)"
strSQL = strSQL & cQUOTE & MyForm.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.Name & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & ctl.OldValue & cQUOTE
strSQL = strSQL & ", " & cQUOTE & nullval & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & action & cQUOTE & ", " & cQUOTE & gstrReason & cQUOTE & ";"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
DoCmd.SetWarnings True
End If

End Select

TryNextControl:
Next ctl

Exit_Audit_Trail:
Exit Function

Err_Audit_Trail:
If Err.Number = 2001 Then 'You canceled the previous operation.
'do nothing
Else
Beep
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
End If
Resume Exit_Audit_Trail

End Function

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong and help me modify the code to work with my forms? the code works perfectly with the example that came with the code , even when new fields are added to the tables and forms.
I am using Access 2003.
Thanks for your help.
Rupert

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Rupert, see if this approach helps.

Also, if you're posting large amounts of code it is much easier to read if you wrap it in CODE tags. That way you keep the indenting.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks, Dennis.
This approach works for me and I will use it instead. I see that you have to choose the specific field you want to track, whereas the other approach tracks all the data entry fields on your form. With your approach, the audit table will not grow as fast and will reduce bloat. It is much easier for me to use and I thank you for your help.

One silly and embarrassing question: How do you use code tags?

Thanks again for your help.

Rupert

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

To use code tags, place [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ] around the actual code (but leave out the spaces)

Denis

Upvote 0
Rupert, see if this approach helps.

Also, if you're posting large amounts of code it is much easier to read if you wrap it in CODE tags. That way you keep the indenting.

Denis

<< ============================= >>

I know this post is a bit old but I came across to your approach and I like it much and works for me. However have a quick question why I cant tract changes in my tab pages?

Please help.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi there!

How to track changes in page control?

Thanks!

I love your approach in tracking changes. Thank you for that!

Upvote 0
That article shows two ways to log changes. Which one are you trying to use?
And can you privode some detail on what errors you get (if any), and what 'deosn't work'?

Denis

Upvote 0
That article shows two ways to log changes. Which one are you trying to use?
And can you privode some detail on what errors you get (if any), and what 'deosn't work'?

Denis

Hello Denis,

Wow thank you so much for your reply. Im not an access programmer but I understand how the codes works.

Purpose: I was asked to setup an audit trail on the company 15 yr old access database as front end with sql server 2005 as back end.

By the way, this codes was trying to use "Audit trail: Logging all changes to a field? of course updated the table the one im using. So I called the function on my before update event on my form and get the error is Compile Error : Expected variable or procedure, not module.

Another thing how will I use it if I have subforms and use sql command for my control source?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Upvote 0
What did you call the module? If it has the same name as the function that will cause problems.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noor fatima

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back