Translating UTF-8 to legible Latin text

Rhodie72

I have data that is encoded in utf-8 that appears as webdings but cannot be read. It is english text for sample payslips. The copied data looks like this:

  
What it actually says is:

DIAMOND BUS LIMITED

What I would like to do is translate it into legible latin text using VBA as the Excel UTF-8 import does NOT correctly do the job at all. I know for a fact a solution to this will help thousands of people globally.
Whilst Excel can convert the orignal text into binary numbers, it is simply a mathematical case of replacing the UTF-8 characters with Latin charaters from standard code pages

My idea is to convert all the characters into binary

i BEGAN A TABLE FOR TRANSLATION BUT vba IS THE WAY FORWARD. Here's what I have done so far:

Excel Formula:
Sub Translate()
    For i = 1 To Len(ActiveCell.Value)
        answer = Application.WorksheetFunction.Unicode(Mid(ActiveCell.Value, i, 1))
        MsgBox answer
    Next i
End Sub

Putting the resultant info into a dynamic array and then converting the resultant into letters would be excellent.

Please help?

In Excel it looks like this:
1686751883765.png

You could handle the A:G range this way.
VBA Code:
Sub UniConvert2()
    Dim CA As Variant
    Dim CCol As Long, RRow As Long, I As Long
    Dim CellRange As Range
    Dim WS As Worksheet
    Dim S As String

Set WS = ActiveSheet

With WS
        'Set CellRange = .Range("A1:G33")
        Set CellRange = .Range("A1:G" & .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    End With

CA = CellRange.Value
    For RRow = LBound(CA, 1) To UBound(CA, 1)
        For CCol = LBound(CA, 2) To UBound(CA, 2)
            S = ""
            For I = 1 To Len(CA(RRow, CCol))
                S = S & Chr(Application.Unicode(Mid(CA(RRow, CCol), I, 1)) And 255)
            Next I
            CA(RRow, CCol) = S
        Next CCol
    Next RRow
    CellRange.Value = CA
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I finally got it perfected. So for all those who want to import ilegible UTF-8 inot excel from text sources, be it pasted or using text import wizard, or whatever, here is the solution with many thanks to @rlv01.
Make sure you create a worksheet called "UTF-8" and import/paste the data there. This translates theregion of text regardless of its size and location you choose.
If there are too many characters in a cell then it may hit a snag (255+, I believe) but this was not encountered in my case as lengthof strings were within limits.
VBA Code:
Sub Translate_UTF_8()
    Dim CA As Variant,CCol As Long, RRow As Long, I As Long, CellRange As Range,WS As Worksheet, S As String

Set WS = Sheets("UTF-8") 'A sheet in the workbook that only handles the translation

With WS
        Set CellRange = ActiveCell.CurrentRegion 'Comment out if using set ranges
        'Set CellRange = .Range("A1:AZ43543" & .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row) 'Customise as necessary if you don't wan to use seperated regions
    End With

CA = CellRange.Value
    For RRow = LBound(CA, 1) To UBound(CA, 1)
        For CCol = LBound(CA, 2) To UBound(CA, 2)
            S = ""
            For I = 1 To Len(CA(RRow, CCol))
                S = S & Chr(Application.Unicode(Mid(CA(RRow, CCol), I, 1)) And 255)
            Next I
            CA(RRow, CCol) = S
        Next CCol
    Next RRow
    CellRange.Value = CA
End Sub

Upvote 0
I finally got it perfected.
As I can see from the thread (and also as confirmed in post #9), post #11 is the actual answer for this question. Any perfection according to the specific range and/or structure (like referencing a certain sheet instead of active sheet) could be applied separately. Therefore, I switched the solution post since the generic version will provide more help to future readers.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back