Transpose based on duplicate Order Numbers

rmorris18921892

Dear All,

Not overly pressing to be answered quickly, but something that is frustrating me.

I have line item for orders placed in Q! & Q2 of 2016. Each line item has the order date, date ordered, SKU (warehouse ID code), (for context on what I am working on) the last two characters of the SKU include the size of the product.

Due to the obvious nature of these being line items, if a customer orders more than one product, I now have duplicates of the same order number on differing rows and thus the SKUs are not paired. I need the SKUs to be in a string in one cell, (I can then split them into differing cells on the same row) that attributes to the first order number in my sheet.

I would like SH-QWER-LB-AA & SH-ABCD-DN-AA to appear in "column D" (to be created...), row 2, row 3 can include the same data (I'd then simply find the unique values...thus eradicating the duplicate). Row 4 would just show the one SKU.

Quick example:-
A B C
Order #EmailLineitem sku
#45002TTT@gmail.comSH-QWER-LB-AA
#45002TTT@gmail.comSH-ABCD-DN-AA
#44029ryan@gmail.comCHAL-N-AB
#43978leeds@gmail.comTE-POCK-WH-TB

<colgroup><col style="width: 100px"><col width="100"><col width="131"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I hope I've been descriptive enough for what I'm after.

Many thanks,
Ryan

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Re: Transpos based on duplicate Order Numbers

Some VBA would be Ok?

You could go with something like this:

Code:
Sub RetrieveData()

Dim L As Integer, LEnd As Integer, str As String, i As Integer, Id As String

LEnd = Range("A10000").End(xlUp).Row ' last row used

For L = 2 To LEnd - 1
    str = Cells(L, 3) ' we store the first code
    Id = Cells(L, 1) ' we store the Id to check if we find matches
    For i = L + 1 To LEnd ' we loop through all rows under L
        If Cells(i, 1) = Id Then 'If we match, we add the code
            str = str & " & " & Cells(i, 3)
        End If
    Next i
    Cells(L, 4) = str ' we display the final code in the new column
Next L

End Sub

This code will also rewrite the sku when there is no other order. You can avoid this with a boolean=TRUE if you have at least one match, else FALSE and you don't display the result.

Upvote 0

Ok let's try this : =C2 & "" & IFERROR(" & " & VLOOKUP(A2,$A3:$D$9,4,FALSE),""). The number "9" should be AT LEAST the last row+1. Basically, for each row, it looks for the next occurrence below and add the SKU. So on the top you will have the addition of everything!

Upvote 0

That's awesome @NotoriousPopol!

Mind explaining the gist of how that works? I have some other instances, slightly different, where I could need to use this - be great to know rather than posting here again.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Upvote 0

FIRST I want to warn you : YOU CANNOT DELETE DUPLICATES with this formula. You can hide them for sure, but this is dynamic. Any change will be visible automatically on other cells!

Let's start with the VLOOKUP formula. What it does is : look in the array $A3:$D$9 for the value A2 (it will look in the first column, so $A3:$A$9), then return the value of the 4th column (= D) if there is a match.

Now, imagine the last row of your data (let's say row 10 is your last data). Data is #45002 / xx@xx.com / AAA-BBB-CD. The formula in D10 says : I take AAA-BBB-CD and look to add further match. This is the last data so nothing is found : D10=C10.

In row 7, you have #45002 / xx@xx.com / EEE-FFF-GH. The formula in D7 says : I take EEE-FFF-GH and look for further match. I have a match in A10, so I add " & " D10. The result in D7 is EEE-FFF-GH & AAA-BBB-CD.

In row 4, you have #45002 / xx@xx.com / III-JJJ-KL. The formula in D4 says : I take III-JJJ-KL and look for further match. I have a match in A7, so I add " & " D7. The result in D4 is III-JJJ-KL & EEE-FFF-GH & AAA-BBB-CD.

Hope this can help you understand the process!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back