Transposing or Copying Certain Columns of Data from One Sheet to Another Sheet and MORE

fl0w3n

I've run out of google foo on this one, and I'm finally hoping those smarter than me can assist/guide me in what I'm trying to accomplish.

Some background; I'm trying to make a file that tracks Employees of a company with certain criteria, and I'm not only trying to make it easier for me each month when it's updated, but also make it easily usable for other people in my company who might not be as excel savvy.

An employee roster is run each month through HR.

• Each time it's run by HR, the column layout is dependent on checking/un-checking boxes in the reporting program, so it's almost always guaranteed to be slightly different than the last month's run
  • The excel file contains a sheet of 'Current Employees'!, and a sheet of 'Terminated Employees'!, with seven headers.
    • Employee #
    • Employee Name
    • Job Type
    • Job Step
    • Title
    • Date Pay Started
    • Hourly Rate

Given these two factors, I've decided the simplest way to handle getting this information into my file is just deleting last month's data and copying and pasting current data into the 7 columns and their respective headers, while locking the headers I need in row 1, and then locking the corresponding formulas on this page. The HR roster file is then "discarded".

Once this information is successfully copied and pasted into the appropriate columns, I run a few basic formulas to extract some information for use in a custom table and a Pivot Table
  • Month Hired
  • Year Hired
  • Union or Non-Union
  • Employee Skill Level

Now, here is where I get to the question: My aforementioned Pivot Table depends upon a column called "Employee Skill Level" and this has to be a user inputted value. It cannot be stored in the HR report. The issue is, if an employee has been added/removed from one month to the next then simply copying and pasting the needed information into the fields like I described above will break the associated "Employee Skill Level" to the employee.

My solution that I started working on is to have a new sheet that is simply called 'Employee Skill Level'! and this would be where the user manually inputs the skill level (C:C in my example, up to 495 employees) of the Employee.
I have it built like this:
Employee #Employee NameEmployee Skill Level
=IF('Current Roster'!A2<>"",'Current Roster'!A2,"")=IF($A2<>"",INDEX('Current Roster'!$B2:$B$495,MATCH($A2,'Current Roster'!$A2:$A$495,0)),"")USER INPUT
=IF('Current Roster'!A3<>"",'Current Roster'!A3,"")=IF($A3<>"",INDEX('Current Roster'!$B3:$B$495,MATCH($A3,'Current Roster'!$A3:$A$495,0)),"")USER INPUT

<tbody>
</tbody>

With the above formulas, the new sheet will auto populate with the 'Current Roster'! information. I admit it seems a bit convoluted, but 'Current Roster'! uses this:
=IF(A2<>"",INDEX('Employee Skill Level'!C:C,(MATCH(A2,'Employee Skill Level'!A:A,0))),"")

Which just uses the Employee # from 'Current Roster'! to reference back to 'Employee Skill Level'! and pull the text stating that employee's skill.

My issue becomes this is circular. I think my solution needs to be somehow keeping one sheet as the stable calculating piece, and I think the 'Employee Skill Level'! is the one - it doesn't really matter if I have terminated employees on here since 'Current Roster'! won't pull their info.

SO ... the question:
How can I best keep "Employee Skill Level" always linked with an "Employee #"?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Anyone have thoughts on this, or did I do a terrible job of explaining?

I've done more research and maybe it's time I step up and learn VB to get this done?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Son Raphon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back