Turning non-numerical teams names into numerical values

Badfish54

The school I work for is crafting a system where students have to do a sport, and depending on which sport they do they will earn a numerical value for that sport. Freshman would need 6pts, Sophomores ~4, Juniors and Seniors 3.

I am looking at a way to input information into excel to keep track of the information, but to do it so the following information would show:
Varsity Football = 2pts
JV Football = 1pt
Varsity Soccer = 2pts
JV Soccer = 1pt

and so on with Varsity sports as 2pts, and JV as 1.

Is there a way to have excel read what their fall, winter, spring choices are, compute the related numbers, and then give a sum? Is it still possible if I were to put a locked drop down menu in the cells to select the sport?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Something like this where column A contains the dropdown menus?
=IF(FIND("VARSITY",upper(A1)),2,IF(FIND("JV",upper(A1)),1,0))

Upvote 0
thank you for the help. So it works with varsity, however if I put JV in then it shows an error. And that is testing without the dropdown menus.

Upvote 0
Assuming the Dropdown to be in column A,

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("varsity",$A1,1)),2,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("jv",$A1,1)),1,0))

To see for example "2 pts" instead of just 2, change the formatting of the cell.

Select the Column B where you are expecting your answer, press ctrl+1, go to custom and type this: 0 "pts";0;;

Now you can do the sum of column B easily

Upvote 0
That works perfectly!!!

Thank you.

My next question is is there a way, considering columns A, B, C will be Fall, Winter, Spring sports respectively, show there sum of the sport value in column D? Would i just be able to take that formula, place it in a cell in Column D, change the target cells accordingly, and plus + between the three instances of it?

Upvote 0
That works perfectly!!!

Thank you.

My next question is is there a way, considering columns A, B, C will be Fall, Winter, Spring sports respectively, show there sum of the sport value in column D? Would i just be able to take that formula, place it in a cell in Column D, change the target cells accordingly, and plus + between the three instances of it?

If you can give a sample of data, it will help us in properly understanding what you exactly want.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
My mistake. Sorry

However I just figured it out by placing a "=SUM(" before the formula, adding commas, and a ) at the end.

My last question, and I promise this will be, is if I were to require my Freshman students to obtain 6pts worth of sport credit, is there a way in either the =sum total field or next to it have it check that if it is 6pts or more then it turns a certain color, and if under that amount then its another color. And it checks a students grade level?

Example:

Name Grade Fall Winter Spring Total Points Met Points
John 9 JV Football JV Boys Basketball Varsity Lacrosse 4 ??????

Where 9th graders need 6pts

Upvote 0
My mistake. Sorry

However I just figured it out by placing a "=SUM(" before the formula, adding commas, and a ) at the end.

My last question, and I promise this will be, is if I were to require my Freshman students to obtain 6pts worth of sport credit, is there a way in either the =sum total field or next to it have it check that if it is 6pts or more then it turns a certain color, and if under that amount then its another color. And it checks a students grade level?

Example:

Name Grade Fall Winter Spring Total Points Met Points
John 9 JV Football JV Boys Basketball Varsity Lacrosse 4 ??????

Where 9th graders need 6pts

Expecting your example table given above is from A1:G2 , and your sports event in column C to E and the met point is in column G, then put this formula in G2:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("varsity",$C2:$E2,1)),2,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("jv",$C2:$E2,1)),1,0)))

And regarding color in case of value above 6 you have to do a conditional formatting, steps:

1) Select the cell G2:G1000 (assuming the maximum no. of record is 1000) and make sure the cell G2 is the active cell(G2 will be white in color). (hint: While selecting the cell start from G2)

2) After selecting, press alt+O+D, then press alt+n, then select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"

3) Then type this formula in the box just below "Format value where this formula is true":

=G2>=6

4) Then select Format...

5) Go to Fill tab and then select a color and Click "Ok" and the press "Ok" again.

And you are done.

--------------) if you want color for value less than 6 then follow the same procedure but change the formula to

=G2<6

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Expecting your example table given above is from A1:G2 , and your sports event in column C to E and the met point is in column G, then put this formula in G2:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("varsity",$C2:$E2,1)),2,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("jv",$C2:$E2,1)),1,0)))

And regarding color in case of value above 6 you have to do a conditional formatting, steps:

1) Select the cell G2:G1000 (assuming the maximum no. of record is 1000) and make sure the cell G2 is the active cell(G2 will be white in color). (hint: While selecting the cell start from G2)

2) After selecting, press alt+O+D, then press alt+n, then select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"

3) Then type this formula in the box just below "Format value where this formula is true":

=G2>=6

4) Then select Format...

5) Go to Fill tab and then select a color and Click "Ok" and the press "Ok" again.

And you are done.

--------------) if you want color for value less than 6 then follow the same procedure but change the formula to

=G2<6

Hope that helps.

Make sure you press Ctrl+shift+enter after putting the formula:

As this is an array formula it will work only if you press ctrl+shift+enter

Only pressing enter wont do the job.

Upvote 0
I am forever in your debt. This is perfect.

I got everything in and tested it and it works perfectly. I showed it to my supervisor and she wanted to know if there is a way for to assign Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior a value so that when the met value is calculated it can then check to make sure that the needed value is hit.

For example, if a student is a Sophomore, then they may only need a met value of 5. Is there a way to have it check Column B, which has their grade, determine that a Sophomore's met value needs to be a 5, and then flash a color in column G when it has met that value?

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphere2215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back