UK Income Tax calculation problem

Nosmas

Some years ago I designed an Excel spreadsheet to calculate my own (and anybody else's) tax liability. It has always calculated the correct tax due for the year - until now.

I have only recently realised that I had misread the rules introduced from 2008/09 (when the 10% tax rate was abolished) which introduced a 10% rate for Savings income up to £2,320 (£2,440 for 2009/10), and am having trouble in constructing an accurate formula to determine what amount of income is taxable at the 10% Savings Rate.

In my workbook I use named cells in the formulae, and for the purpose of this problem I use 'BSlice' for the bottom slice of income i.e. earned income such as salary, pension etc, 'MSlice' for the middle slice i.e. savings income, 'TSlice' for the top slice i.e. dividends, 'CPA' for claimable Personal Allowance (after adjusting for age enhancement or income restriction), and 'SavLmt' for the maximum income taxable at the 10% Savings Rate.

Using these names can anyone with sufficient knowledge of UK tax please suggest a workable formula such as: -

'=IF(BSlice>=(CPA+SavLmt),0,IF(BSlice>=CPA,SavLmt-(BSlice-CPA),IF(AND(BSlice=0,MSlice-CPA>=SavLmt),SavLmt,MSlice-(CPA-BSlice)))' - which I am afraid does not work for all variables of BSlice and MSlice.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Bump this to the top of the pile in the hope that someone may view and provide an answer. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Bump again in the hope there is someone out there with knowledge of both UK Income Tax and Excel who may be able to help!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back