UN to control internet !?

Should the UN or ANYONE control the internet

• Total voters

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Interesting. In thinking about it, however, I think the UN would be the best organization to control the Internet. My reasoning is this: The UN is the most ineffective, useless do nothing organization the world has ever produced, and with them governing the Internet, everyone would be happy and the Internet would still have, essentially, no governing, which is as it should be.

[sarcastic mode]
Oh yeah, what will happen if the UN decides to keep a website and the US of A wants to invade it?
[end sarcastic mode]

elgringo makes an interesting point.

But I would hand over control to a select bunch of senior managers in our organisation. They would be too busy having meetings, workshops, meetings, training sessions, meetings, junkets to other countries, meetings, creating project plans, (did I mention meetings?) that, like the UN, nothing would happen and things would continue as before.

Of course they would have to have a meeting to decide if they really wanted to take control.....

I mean no offense through this post, so please take none, everything i use in here is examples and i do not mean harm or anger to anyone who reads this.

The Internet isn't a thign to be controlled by any one being, wether it be the UN or the USA or Australia. Not one place can control the Internet, nor should it. If someone (an individual or a single conpany) had control of the internet it would be changed entirely. There is no point in giving someone control over the internet as it could be so easily abused. Imaging having the UN take over (no offense to anyone) but i feel as though it would be so strict, about the only thing you would be able to look up would be historical site, school pages, educational pages, things like that. There would be no in-line shopping, and most likely you would have to go through the UN (or who controls it) to allow your page to be displayed on the internet. If someone controled the internet, most pages would be discharged and removed. It would make the internet a place to learn, not a place to explore. That is what i think.

Off topic maybe?

But who was it that invented the Internet?

As far as I know it was some US miitary thing that started it all.

Then it was a scientist at CERN that wanted to share his work with other scientists doing the same thing.

I think his name is Tim Berner-Lees.

But then again the idea behind HyperText (http) has been about for a long time.

The Internet will at some point become regulated in one fashion or another. This is simply due to the fact that government, just as religion must control or it cannot exist. That control will be brought about by instilling fear and utilizing brain washing techniques on the common man, who is more than willing to accept any dictated nonsense as that eliminates his need to do any thinking on his own. Those that do possess the ability to think will be outvoted and eventually looked at as out of step with reality. A good case in point is stem cell research, a science with the possibility of heaping huge benefits to mankind, being stifled by a few zealots that have probably never even glanced at any studies or facts, only listened to the religious nuts like George Bush or the poop, oops, pope who still think in the middle ages. Sorry about this one, just felt like venting. Hope it doesn't upset to many folks.

It's pretty silly the way everything is working now days, we have gone from the primitave cultural human, to the bllody sucking, power mungaring fiends we are today (no offense), all we are after is power, and the more power we give them the mroe they want, control over the internet is a no. it provides them with more power and sanctuary against us all. What could we do if we didnt' have a say anymore. The internet is a great spot to say what you think and not really have to worry about consiquences. its another sense of freedom for many ppl

Some of the previous comments are quite to the point. Personally I am against all censorship, but then I also get mixed feelings when I see that some people use the so-called freedom of speech to propagate nazism or pedophilia. :(

In Holland and Belgium we have restricted freedom of speech concerning nazism (or 'negotianists' and anti-semitists) and I have always been against these laws because they open the door to forbid other opinions as well.

And guess what I read in the newspaper today: some Dutch minister wants to restrict the freedom of speech for islamic imams. So bit by bit we will have less and less freedom of speech...

If this goes on like that, one day Microsoft will forbid us to say that Linux is a fine system as well...

Felix: In regards to opinions, they will never be obliterated. In a way we in the US also have some restrictions on freedom of speech. If we shout out, "I have a bomb and will blow you up," we would be arrested. We are all free to say what we want, in the sense that we all have a choice - a god given right. What we choose to do with this right is up to us. Expressing one's opinion isn't necessarily a ticket for one to express to their heart's content. So I agree with you about the opinion control. Supressing people's opinions will only incite a defiant and angered attitude. Having the choice is different than making the choice. Preventative maintenance can sometimes be a great hinderence.
Re your first comment: I take offense to that.

Re the UN: I believe they were founded with the best of intentions. They currently, imho, are far too busy getting sex for food they couldn't tell you of any great accomplishment as of late. What they need is a complete restructuring of management starting at the top.

Regarding Internet control:
In the sense that is being discussed, no there should not be control. This would be extremely detrimental and lead to uprising and internet scandal on a global scale.
In the sense that ICANN (or like body) would guide the internet, in the respect of keeping it's addressing, standards, and formats uniform and easily accessible, yes I am all for that. Keeping the greatest tool made in this century (barring any medical or life-saving technologies) easy to use for all, and free (of charge and beaurocracy) is crucial. It is a good idea, meaning it has good intentions (not necessarily the validity of such). But like my father used to say, "Good intentions are just that - good intentions. Nothing more, nothing less." Meaning that good intentions will only get you so far and cannot constitute for, or accept responsibility for, actions performed.

So my opinion of the poll opinion: No.
Opinion of the articles: Possibly, if done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back