UN to control internet !?

Should the UN or ANYONE control the internet

• Total voters
There is great debate in the UK just now about freedom of speech and censorship. A prime example was a Birmingham theatre being forced to stop producing a play because it was considered disrespectful to a particular religious group. Then the BBC decided to screen a production of Jerry Springer: The Opera which caused demonstrations by outraged religious groups. They wanted to ban it because it contained (they said) blasphemy and was anti-religious. Thankfully the BBC did not relent and screened it anyway. Watching the controversy, I thought I should at least see what all the fuss was about - I turned it off after about 10 minutes. Not because I was offended in any way, but because I thought it was rubbish! I heard one religious representative on radio saying that no-one should see this production and the BBC should not broadcast. Did he try to end it's theatre run? No - because the theatre attracts only a fairly small audience. However, I firmly believe that I should have the right to decide whether or not I watch a programme or show or movie. Whether I enjoy it or not is entirley up to me but at least I have the right to make the decision. I don't want to be told what to watch, when I can go out, what to eat, what to drink etc etc. As an adult, I realise the choices are there - it's then up to me to make the choice that fits in with my own ethical/moral/religious views.

Any hints of regulation of the Net, or anything else are usually the thin end of the wedge.

Gosh, what a rant - I feel SO much better now!

(Heya Zack!)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Well there's a good point actually, topic going to religion. I dont want to get off the point but it kind of fits in with choice and freedom of speech.
People fight over religion because of there beliefs, the biggest religion in the world being either catholics or christians (i'm not sure). But they will try and preech to people about what they should believe in, what they should do to make them go to heaven. How they should act, etc etc. But whats the point in them doing this. It's our choice to believe what we believe, I being a christian myself believe in a power in the heaven. Having my own belief, but i will not tell anyone what to believe in. war on religion is a very silly thing as if we look at it right, all the religion leads to the same sort of ending. a power in the sky, some believe in many gods, some have different names for their god. who cares, freedom to speech and choice to do what you want and when you want to is entirely up to us. If there are consiquences then we accpet that if we do this, this could happen. We are free people, why do we need to be lead by a single power in itself. Politics is a big thing in every country, but not one decision they make will benefit us all. We need to do our own thing, make our own choices, and live the way we want to live. If you dont want to work then fine, its your choice, you might have no money, but its your choice to do it and you know what will happen if you do. We only live once, make the most of it (unless re-incarnation is true).

That is a summary of what power can do to a nation and the world in itself. Over here in australia we have a law, you cut down a native tree, you must plant two in its place, or plant another one (not too sure on this someone will know) But guess what our prime minister did, cut down several hundred trees and not one was planted in its place. POWER! has lead him to believe he owns us all and does not need to plant any back because he owns our land. Maybe someone, somehow needs to show the people in politics what power has done to them. That why the internet does not need one person to rule it, too much power = no freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back