Unable to change date format

Imajica

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I am exporting a list and it contains birthdays.... the software exporting it as CSV. I load it into Excel365 and it asks me if i want to remove leading zeros or convert. This is something new because it never used to ask that before. Then my data is listed in columns, and in a weird font I never use. Usually, it uses the system font (Calibri). Everything "looks" ok. the dates though are in mm/dd/yyyy. I then save the file as xlsx so i can work with it properly.

Normally I would just change the date format to be whatever I want. However, regardless of what format I choose, nothing changes. It is as if the data is stored as text instead of numbers. If I delete the contents and manually type in a date in the cell where I changed the format, the manually entered date works.

I tried to use the text-to-columns, but that does nothing. It simply copies the data over to a new column. I never had this problem when importing data from this system before.

How can I fix my data?

test.xlsx
A
1Primary's Birthday
25/22/1956
310/14/1985
42/16/1962
52/21/1978
61/9/1945
73/17/1964
82/12/1950
93/19/1966
104/28/1946
test

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
The date on my taskbar is listed in the yyyy-mm-dd format. I checked my regional settings is set to English (United States). Short date is set to 2017-04-05.

Upvote 0
I managed to to figure it out, but I do not understand.

I had to change the short date in the regional settings to be 4/15/2024 instead of 2024-04-15 ... then it worked.

the problem is that my date has always been 2024-04-15 on the taskbar.... I even logged into my computers at home and that is how it is displayed on there as well. I never had this issue in the past. Anyhow it seems to be working now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back