Unable to use filters

mikeymay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a worksheet that is unprotected but I am unable to apply filters to it. The option is greyed out if I try and select autofilters.

Another strange thing is that on one of the worksheets when I select Data, Filters there is a tick to the left of Autofilter but it is also greyed out, so in effect I cannot turn it off even tho I can't see the filters!!

I have tried to popst a screen shot but unsure how to do it. I think maybe a screen shot would help to explain my issue better so if anyone knows how to do this......

Thanks

Are you sure that there is no worksheet protection, cos the menu has the same profile as if it had.

Tools > Protection > Unprotect Sheet

If you are sure then, as a shot in the dark, apply protection and then take it off again...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I know.......

Defo no pretection enabled on the worksheet/book :(
shot2ml7.png

Upvote 0
Also tried protecting then unprotecting.......still no joy!!!

Upvote 0
I am happy to email out a sample of the worksheet as I can only guess that there are some settings that are causing this, but I really don't know what it could be as this worksheet was fine on Monday.

Upvote 0
Is this workbook a shared workbook? Remove the sharing and see if you can filter.

Upvote 0
Afraid it isn't shared either......

I hope this isn't something really simple as I thought I was pretty good with excel and will be v v embarassed if something a newbie would be able to sort.....

Upvote 0
I have tried copying the offending sheet to a new workbook (Edit, Move, Create Copy) which copies the sheet with no filters, then applying the filters on the new workbook and copying back which hasn't worked.

I have tested this on a dummy worksheet and the above works, i.e. the filters are copied so I think it is something appiled to the whole workbook.

Upvote 0
Ok, managed to resolved by moving the sheets to a new workbook and overwritting the defective version.

I am still curious as to why the original workbook effectively disabled the AutoFilter function.....

Upvote 0
Hi,

I was following this topic, hoping that someone would know what the problem is. It would have been interesting to learn something.
Currently my time is very limited at least till friday, but if you want, you can email me a part of the workbook: delete data and sheets. Just send one sheet with 200-300 rows. In a few days (at least) I'll take a look.
(click "email" below my posts)

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Did have this issue posted on the Microsoft discussion site as well and some helpful chappie there seems to have come up with a solution.

Although I did sort my issue out by copying all the worksheets to a new workbook and saving as the 'broken' file, it was suggested that I had 'objects' hidden (Tools, Options, View, Hide All).

I tested this by enabling AutoFilter on a dummy worksheet with test data and then selecting Hide All. This produced the same issue I had so I can only assume I had unknowingley selected 'Hide All' at some point.

You learn something new everyday....well maybe not everyday, but I have today :confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back