Undo Won't Work

tlc53

Hi there,
The spreadsheet I am working on contains more than 50 sheets and has various VBA code.
I noticed recently that Undo has stopped working and I'm not sure why. Possibly it has something to do with a VBA code, but I wouldn't know where to start. It was running fine for a long time.
For example, if I entered text in a cell and enter, Undo is not option.
Any idea why this is happening and how I can prevent it?
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
You can check in the File>Options>Advanced and see if Undo has been turned off for a large file size, and if your file exceeds the limit, then that is probably the cause.

Upvote 0
If you have a code in the worksheet that is triggered when data is entered......the UNDO stack is cleared on running any macro.

Upvote 0
If you have a code in the worksheet that is triggered when data is entered......the UNDO stack is cleared on running any macro.
Thanks. It doesn't matter what sheet I am on, the Undo is not an option. Even on sheets with no VBA code associated with it. I assume that means code is running if data is entered on any sheet, rather than when the sheet is active. I thought it may be a Calculate coding (like below) but I have ensured it is referring to a particular worksheet. Any idea what to look for, to find the code that is running every time data is entered and hence, stopping my Undo from working?

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("E1").Range("V6").Value = 74 Then
        ThisWorkbook.Sheets("E1").Shapes("Check Box 11").Visible = True
    Else
        ThisWorkbook.Sheets("E1").Shapes("Check Box 11").Visible = False
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
You can check in the File>Options>Advanced and see if Undo has been turned off for a large file size, and if your file exceeds the limit, then that is probably the cause.
I couldn't find the Undo option in this area? :unsure:

Upvote 0
It's in the data section, 3rd last on the page....mine defaults to 8Mb file size !!

Upvote 0
Does the problem go away when you open Excel in safe mode (hold down control key when you start Excel)?

AND this from Microsoft

VBA Code:
I finally found the answer to my problem with the "undo" and "redo" no longer working in Excel.  Apparently the registry entry which determines the number of undo steps for Excel had somehow gotten changed to zero.

The below link explains how to correct the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211922']http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211922

Upvote 0
Ok, so if you go to file>>options>>Trust Center>>Trust center settings>>Macro settings>>check the disable ALL macros.
Save>>Close>reopen does it work for you ?
If it does you have a macro firing, possibly from your personal.xls file....you need to track down the one causing the issue.
Can you upload the workbook to a hosting site, llike dropbox, so we can maybe help track down the problem ??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back