Unique alphabetical list, omitting blank cells

rgillson3

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My company does a "Daily Cash Sheet", to record tips between servers and bartenders or bussers.

They list the names, in no particular order in cells G2:G15.

I want to extract the names in alphabetical order, ignoring any blanks into a separate list.

So, the following names in G2:G15:

Jim

Kim

Fred

Dave

Would be returned in L2:L15 as:

Dave
Fred
Jim
Kim

I've hunted around a LOT, and can't find anything that works completely, even more complicated formulas.

Can someone please provide a simpler formula that will do this?

Thank you.

I've ran into a couple occurrences an identical name is listed twice within the range. When this occurs, the list "stops", meaning it won't return any names. If I add even one letter to the end of either occurrence, it starts working again.

Is there a way to adjust the formula to account for this?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Here another macro for you to consider

VBA Code:
Sub Unique_alphabetical()
  Dim coll As Object, c As Range, dict As Object, ky As Variant
  Set coll = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")
  Set dict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  For Each c In Range("A38:E44").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    dict(c.Value) = Empty
  Next
  For Each ky In dict.keys
    coll.Add ky
  Next
  coll.Sort
  Range("G38").Resize(dict.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(coll.toArray)
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs

If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (Unique_alphabetical) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. If you will need to do this again in this same workbook, and if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "Yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0
sandy666 - I'd prefer without duplicates. But, I can work with them if necessary.

DanteAmor - Thank you for the Macro. However, I'd prefer to stick with some kind of a formula that will just "create" the list for me. My end-goal is to have this be something that any coworker can easily work with.

Upvote 0
You're really asking a lot of a formula! Here's what I came up with:

Book2 (version 1).xlsb
ABCDEFG
1Sorted name
2ZekeMarkJillJillPaulAmy
3BobAmyBobBob
4Jill
5Mark
6Paul
7Zeke
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G8G2=IFERROR(INDIRECT(TEXT(10000*MOD(AGGREGATE(15,6,EXP(LN(COUNTIF($A$2:$E$3,"<="&$A$2:$E$3)-SUM(COUNTIF($G$1:$G1,$A$2:$E$3))-1+((ROW($A$2:$E$3)*100+COLUMN($A$2:$E$3)))/10000)),1)+1,1),"R00C00"),0),"")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

However, I tried it on your A38:E44 range with some data in between, and it did not work right. It included some of those values, and excluded some of the names. If you've got Excel 365 with the new functions, there might be some more options.

But you're really into VBA territory now. Dante's macro might work for you, or I could update my UDF so that it appears to be a formula on your sheet, so maybe your co-workers can handle it, but you'll still need to install the code.

Upvote 0
@sandy666 - I'd prefer without duplicates. But, I can work with them if necessary.
Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column1
ZekeJillPaulAmy
BobBob
PaulJill
BobPaul
AmyZeke
BobAmy

Rich (BB code):
// Table1
let
    Source = Table.ToColumns(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content]),
    Expand = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), "Column1"),
    Distinct = Table.Distinct(Table.Sort(Table.SelectRows(Expand, each ([Column1] <> null)),{{"Column1", Order.Ascending}})),
    TSC = Table.SelectColumns(Table.AddColumn(Distinct, "Text", each Text.Select([Column1],{"a".."z","A".."Z"})),{"Text"})
in
    TSC

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This version will ignore non-text values on a split range:

Book2 (version 1).xlsb
ABCDEFG
1Sorted name
2ZekeMarkJillJillPaulAmy
3Bob
412555.21Jill
5Mark
6BobAmyBobMarkPaul
7Zeke
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G8G2=IFERROR(INDIRECT(TEXT(10000*MOD(AGGREGATE(15,6,EXP(LN(ISTEXT($A$2:$E$6)*(COUNTIF($A$2:$E$6,"<="&$A$2:$E$6)-SUM(COUNTIF($G$1:$G1,$A$2:$E$6)))-1+((ROW($A$2:$E$6)*100+COLUMN($A$2:$E$6)))/10000)),1)+1,1),"R00C00"),0),"")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the Macro. However, I'd prefer to stick with some kind of a formula that will just "create" the list for me. My end-goal is to have this be something that any coworker can easily work with.

It is also very simple to assign the macro to a button, in this case you would only have to press the button to update the list.

Or also every time you write a name in the range the macro can update the list, put the following code in the events of the sheet.

SHEET EVENT
Right click the tab of the sheet you want this to work, select view code and paste the code into the window that opens up.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim r As Range, coll As Object, c As Range, dict As Object, ky As Variant
  Set r = Range("A38:E44")
  If Not Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then
    If Target.CountLarge > r.Count Then Exit Sub
    For Each c In r.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
      dict(c.Value) = Empty
    Next
    For Each ky In dict.keys
      coll.Add ky
    Next
    coll.Sort
  End If
End Sub
__________________________________________________________________________________
Every time you change a name in the range, the list is automatically updated
__________________________________________________________________________________

Upvote 0
optimised version
Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Text
ZekeJillPaulAmy
1BobBob
Paul,,55Jill
Bob@Paul
135AmyZeke
BobAmy?

Code:
// Table1
let
    Source = Table.ToColumns(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content]),
    Expand = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), "Column1"),
    Text = Table.AddColumn(Expand, "Text", each Text.Select([Column1],{"a".."z","A".."Z"})),
    Distinct = Table.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(Text, {"Text"}), each ([Text] <> null)), {"Text"}),
    TSC = Table.SelectColumns(Table.Sort(Table.SelectRows(Distinct, each ([Text] <> "")),{{"Text", Order.Ascending}}),{"Text"})
in
    TSC
after any change just right click on result (green) table and select Refresh

Upvote 0
Hi @rgillson3

If you want to test the code, just to see how it works, try this updated version to consider only texts:

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim r As Range, coll As Object, c As Range, dict As Object, ky As Variant
  Set r = Range("A38:E44")
  If Not Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then
    If Target.CountLarge > r.Count Then Exit Sub
    For Each c In r.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
      If c.Value Like "*[A-Za-z]*" Then dict(c.Value) = Empty
    Next
    For Each ky In dict.keys
      coll.Add ky
    Next
    coll.Sort
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max1mus Laz3r

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back