Updating links

Bagsy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anybody help with a problem I have developed since upgrading to Excel 2010
I have a work sheet with some formulas as below
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("'[_Job book.xlsm]Sheet1'!C"&MATCH(REPT("Z",90),'G:\03. Operational Data\[_Job book.xlsm]Sheet1'!C:C)),0,8)
These link to a job book & populate cells with information from the job book.
I am now getting the message when I open the work book that the workbook contains links that cannot be updated, i f I select continue the links all update fine, if I select edit links they are shown as OK.
It is as if I am getting the message before it has time to open the job book
Can anybody shed any light on this please
Thanks in advance
Bagsy

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim WB As Workbook
 Dim CurrentSheet As Worksheet
 Set CurrentSheet = ActiveSheet
Set Wkbk = ActiveWorkbook

With Application
        .Calculation = xlAutomatic
        .MaxChange = 0.001

End With
    Sheets("DP & BHA Inspection").Select
    If Range("S1") = 1 Then
     CurrentSheet.Select
    Exit Sub
    Else
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False ' turn off the screen updating
    Sheets("DP & BHA Inspection").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="xxxx"
     Set WB = Workbooks.Open("G:\03. Operational Data\_Job book.xlsm", True, True)
Wkbk.Activate
     Application.Run "Replacelinks"

WB.Close False ' close the source workbook without saving any changes
    Set WB = Nothing ' free memory
   ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="xxxx"
    ActiveSheet.Select
    CurrentSheet.Select
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True ' turn on the screen updating
    End If
End Sub

Andrew
My apologies I have locked unlocked some many times in the last few days
I have Sent a message with the password

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Andrew
My apologies I have locked unlocked some many times in the last few days
I have Sent a message with the password

Upvote 0
Andrew I don’t understand
In the work book, Job sheet in “this workbook” module there is code beginning
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Are you saying this is not in the copy you downloaded, I have checked the drop box folder and the job sheet in there has the Private Sub Workbook_Open() code
This is really strange I am still getting the edit links dialog box

Upvote 0
Andrew
It it something that is peculiar to the job sheet, I have carried out the following
1. Commented out Workbook_Open() code
2. Deleted all other sheets apart from the data validation sheet & DP & BHA Inspection sheet
3. When I open the job sheet I still get the edit links dialog box for both links
I then deleted the data validation sheet and opened the job sheet and just got the edit links dialog box looking for the job book.
I then deleted the four links on the DP & BHA Inspection sheet and opened the job sheet which as you would expect opened without a problem
I then carried out as below
1. copied the links to a new test worksheet it opened up without any problem
2. I then copied a link back from the test worksheet and again I got the edit links dialog box back

Upvote 0
OK Thanks Andrew
We are at crossed purposes here, my apologies. Sequence of events for us to create a Job sheet
We open the Job Book type in as required and save
We then open up the job sheet (this is the one with the Workbook_Open() code) and this is the workbook that is giving me these edit links dialog box problem.

The Job book is linked to the customer name & rig name lists, on Price book
This is opening up and updating links correctly (this has the Workbook_BeforeSave event procedure)

The job Sheet is the one that is causing me a problem, this is linked to the customer name & rig name lists, on price book
And the last entries on the Job Book which I am now using the Index formulas you suggested.
The edit links dialog box comes up for both linked sheets
If I delete the validation sheet I get the edit links dialog box just for the Job Book
If I delete the links to the job book I get edit links dialog box just for the drill pipe price book

If I copy the index formula you suggested from the Job Sheet to a new clean workbook save & shut down, when I re open the new workbook links perfectly, no edit links dialog box comes up

If I copy a link to Drill pipe price book for the customer name & rig name lists from the Job Sheet to a new clean workbook save & shut down, when I re open the new workbook links perfectly no edit links dialog box comes up

The links are updating OK on the job book, its just that I am getting a edit links dialog box saying there is a problem, when there doesn’t appear to be the case.
This edit links dialog box problem just seemed to have manifested in the last week, when there have been no modifications made.

I have other workbooks that are linked to the customer & rig list on the drill pipe price book & these are all fine.
Many thanks for your time on this

Upvote 0
In '_Job Sheet.xltm you have a couple of names that refer to an external workbook. For me:

Conn_Validation ='C:\02. Stock Lists\Current Stock lists\[Noble Drilling - Julie Robertson.xls]Validation List'!$A$1:$A$150
Insp_Validation ='C:\02. Stock Lists\Current Stock lists\[Noble Drilling - Julie Robertson.xls]Validation List'!$C$1:$C$31

If I delete them, save and close, I don't get the message about links when I reopen the workbook.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew
That it, I must of accidently created these names when I created the job sheet, its only just become a problem because I have just converted the stock lists to Xlsm. I don’t think I would have ever found this without your help, it never occurred to me that is was a name that was causing this problem.
I am very grateful, this was so frustrating many thanks for your time & effort
Gary

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back