Upgrading Memory

Pupster

Board Regular
Please Help,

I have just bought an old PC which i wanted to teach myself how to build one from scratch! Which seems I have done successfully, however. I only have 64 MB RAM which is really poor, I have 2 stick of 128MB which I would like to put in but whenever I try the computer just beeps for about a minute and doesn't power up the monitor!

Is there something I am not doing?? :oops:

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I just recently added memory to my computer also, two 128's and originally had 128. I was running into "Low resources" statement when only had Excel and this forum running. Here is what I did.

Installed the memory. Booted up, nothing. The monitor would not come on. Re-installed, same thing. Took the memory chips back and was told that I probably had the wrong kind (manufacturer) and to try another manufacturer. When these were put in, they did work as when booted started to read the new memory. But no Monitor.

Turns out, one of the pins for the monitor was bent. Got it straigtened out, monitor turns on.

Still run into "low resources", got a Memory Optimizer, and am still working out the problems even though it is not as often. At some point need new computer.

Upvote 0
Hi,
it sounds like the RAM is incompatible with the motherboard, or it may even be faulty. Some useful links : adding RAM to your PC, another useful RAM link, plus a useful page of RAM upgrade questions. If you don't get past the BIOS beeps then the RAM might not be faulty (just incompatible) - but if you suspect it is faulty, then you should check it with MemTest - but I strogly recommend you read the instructions first.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back