Use of Index/Match/MaxIf not returning number associated with the maximum value

ccap

Hi All,

Please forgive me in advance, I am new to using forums and explaining my thoughts in terms of Excel jargon. I have a fairly large data set (141,884 rows x 4 columns) of oceanography data collected from an ongoing study from 2007-2011. The columns include: CRUISE ID (boat trip identification #), DEPTH (how far down the instrument was lowered into water), TEMP (water temperature at specified depth), and CHANGE (change in water temperature from previous measurement). An example is shown below of how the data are set up. The data are presented as increasing depth until the next cruise takes place.

I am attempting to find the thermocline (depth at which water temperature decreases rapidly) of the water for each cruise (n = 993). I am defining the thermocline at the depth (Column B) where the temperature change (Column D) is the greatest positive value for each cruise (Column A). In a Column F, I have listed each of the 993 cruises by their ID number and used the following formula in Column G: =INDEX(B:B, MATCH(MAX(IF(A:A=F2,D:D,0)),D:D,0)) and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter afterwards. While the formula retrieves a number of depths associated with the maximum temperature change, I have several depths that are not correlated with the max value. Any ideas?

ABCDEFG
1CRUISE
DEPTH
TEMP
CHANGE
CRUISE IDTHERMOCLINE

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks,

Connor

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back