use of VBA for AVERAGEIF array formula

sts8500man

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a set of non-adjacent cells whose numerical contents I need to average. The cells are all in row 10 of my “table” and are each 4 columns apart starting at cell J10 and ending at cell CX10. Using cell CY10 of the “table” I unput the array formula:
=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(J10:CX10),4)=2,IF(ISNUMBER(J10:CX10),J10:CX10)))

It worked just fine to provide proper results while skipping cells consisting of text or zero values.

However, I need that formula to work from a VBA and there it does not seem to work. I would like to know why. The macro I wrote is:

Sub Calc_CY10()

'

' Calc_CY10 Macro
Range("CY10").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(J10:CX10),4)=2,IF(ISNUMBER(J10:CX10),J10:CX10)))"
ActiveWorkbook.Save
End Sub

The error message I get is:
#NAME?

And the formula displayed in the formula bar is different from the formula written into the macro. It is:
=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(@COLUMN('J10':'CX10'),4)=2,IF(ISNUMBER(@'J10':'CX10'),'J10':'CX10'))).

The fact that this works in cell CY10 is acceptable, but I prefer it to work from a VBA application “run”. I don’t know why it won’t work from the macro when it works fine in the cell, nor do I know how to correct the macro so that it will work from VBA.

Would appreciate some help with this.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Use Formula2 instead of FormulaR1C1

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your response to my need. It works like a charm. I can't say that I understand why "formula2" works and "formulaR1C1" does not work. I appreciate your help a whole bunch.

STS8500MAN

Upvote 0
You are using A1 notation in the formula rather than R1C1 notation which was part of the problem, but the @ signs where inserted because the formula could spill, so to deal with that you need to use Formula2 rather than Formula

Upvote 0
Oh yeah - understand. I should have recognized that! Again, thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back