User Enters Number in One Worksheet, Taken to Match in Another Worksheet

Lali2023

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Is it possible to create a user dialog box where the user enters a number and gets taken to that matching number in another worksheet? Here is what I mean:

Worksheet 1

Worksheet 2
3.3 Jon
3.4 Bryan
3.5 Ken
3.6 David

The user clicks to start a macro and the dialog box comes up:

Enter a number:

User enters 3.4, for example, and gets taken to the spot where 3.4 is in Worksheet 2.

Is there a VBA function I can create to do this?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Given at table like this on Sheet2:

Book2
AB
1ListName
23.3Jon
33.4Bryan
43.5Ken
53.6David
Sheet2

You can use the HYPERLINK function like this:

Book2
AB
1List
23.4Bryan
33.6David
43.5Ken
53.3Jon
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=HYPERLINK("#Sheet2!A" & MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A$2:$A$5,0)+1,VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$5,2,0))

I had the "friendly name" in the Hyperlink look up the corresponding name from the table on Sheet2. So you can put the number in column A, and the Hyperlink formula will show the name, and if you click on it, it will take you to the table on Sheet2. A dialogbox and a macro will also work, but see if this work for you first.

Upvote 0
The user clicks to start a macro and the dialog box comes up:

Enter a number:
Instead of that, would this work for you?
Just double-click on the value in Worksheet 1 and be taken to the relevant value in Worksheet 2?
If so, you could try a Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick event code like this.
I have assumed that the values of interest that you would double-click on in Worksheet 1 are in column A and the values to be searched for in Worksheet 2 are also in column A.
To implement ..
1. Right click the 'Worksheet 1' sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.
3. Close the Visual Basic window & test.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim rFound As Range

If Target.Column = 1 And Len(Target.Value) > 0 Then
    Cancel = True
    Set rFound = Sheets("Worksheet 2").Columns("A").Find(What:=Target.Value, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
    If rFound Is Nothing Then
      MsgBox Target.Value & " not found"
    Else
      Application.Goto Reference:=rFound, Scroll:=True
    End If
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Given at table like this on Sheet2:

Book2
AB
1ListName
23.3Jon
33.4Bryan
43.5Ken
53.6David
Sheet2

You can use the HYPERLINK function like this:

Book2
AB
1List
23.4Bryan
33.6David
43.5Ken
53.3Jon
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=HYPERLINK("#Sheet2!A" & MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A$2:$A$5,0)+1,VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$5,2,0))

I had the "friendly name" in the Hyperlink look up the corresponding name from the table on Sheet2. So you can put the number in column A, and the Hyperlink formula will show the name, and if you click on it, it will take you to the table on Sheet2. A dialogbox and a macro will also work, but see if this work for you first.
Hi Eric,
Thank you for the response. Can the hyperlink function work across two worksheets? If I am reading this correctly, the description and the number would be on the same worksheet. Could the number on worksheet 1 be used to match on the second worksheet?

Best,
Lali

Upvote 0
Just double-click on the value in Worksheet 1 and be taken to the relevant value in Worksheet 2?
I have assumed that the values of interest that you would double-click on in Worksheet 1 are in column A and the values to be searched for in Worksheet 2 are also in column A.
To implement ..
2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim rFound As Range

Cancel = True
    Set rFound = Sheets("Worksheet 2").Columns("A").Find(What:=Target.Value, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
    Else
    End If
  End If
End Sub
Hi Peter,

The code worked in bringing in the description. Ctrl-z takes out the description to revert it to what it was beforehand. Can the code be extended to double-click to erase the first half of the code had linked? Thank you.

Best,
Lali

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,
Thank you for the response. Can the hyperlink function work across two worksheets? If I am reading this correctly, the description and the number would be on the same worksheet. Could the number on worksheet 1 be used to match on the second worksheet?

Best,
Lali
The example I showed is showing a lookup/hyperlink across 2 worksheets. The first mini-sheet with the table was on Sheet2, and the HYPERLINK formula is on Sheet1. If you're asking if the formula can work across two workbooks, then the answer is still yes, but you need to fully qualify the ranges with the workbook name (3 places).

Upvote 0
To implement ..

VBA Code:
  Dim rFound As Range

Cancel = True
    Else
    End If
  End If
End Sub
Hi Peter,
I deleted the code from the VBA prompt for one worksheet and the code is still working upon double-clicking. What can I do to make sure that once it is deleted from the VBA prompt the code will not still work in the worksheet?

Best,
Lali

Upvote 0
Ctrl-z takes out the description to revert it to what it was beforehand.
What 'description' where? Your request was to be taken to a particular place in Worksheet 2. That is what my code does.

Can the code be extended to double-click to erase the first half of the code had linked?
I don't know what this means. What 'code' is to be erased?

What can I do to make sure that once it is deleted from the VBA prompt the code will not still work in the worksheet?
I still don't know what is being deleted and how.

Can you give some specific examples like you did in post 1?

Upvote 0
What 'description' where? Your request was to be taken to a particular place in Worksheet 2. That is what my code does.

I don't know what this means. What 'code' is to be erased?

I still don't know what is being deleted and how.

Can you give some specific examples like you did in post 1?
Hi Peter,

I had opened up the VBA prompt for the specific worksheet and deleted the code:

1706584737109.png

However, in that worksheet, I double-click and the prompt appears as if it is still active and the previous code you had suggested still works.

1706584957788.png

I tried looking to see why that is but could not find anything that stood out. Is there another place I should look?

Best,
Lali

Upvote 0
Double-click the ThisWorkbook module and see if there is any code in there.

1706590649113.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back