Userforms: Use variable to show a loaded userform

devhs

Hi,

I have searched for hours trying to solve what should be a simple process. Please excuse me if I am missing something very obvious.

I have a userform (MTScoringForm) that shows modal. One of the button controls hides the MTScoringForm and opens a modeless form (frmOKModeless) to allow the user to directly edit a worksheet. Upon closing the modeless form I want the MTScoringForm to show again.

I use this same modeless form (frmOKModeless) to allow user interaction with the worksheet in other situations, requiring hiding and re-showing of other modal userforms. So I am trying to pass the initiating userform to the frmOKModeless as a variable.

If I use userforms.add (variable), it creates a new instance of the userform. To investigate, I created what should be a simple process (based on the advice from AlphaFrog: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/710098-putting-userform-variable.html)

Code:
Sub TEST()[INDENT]Dim objUserForm As Object

Set objUserForm = MTScoringForm
Load objUserForm

ShowUserformA ("MTScoringForm")  'Pass as string[/INDENT]
[INDENT]ShowUserformB (objUserForm)        'Pass as object

[/INDENT]
End Sub

Sub ShowUserformA(Byval strShowA as string)[INDENT]
UserForms.Add(strShowA).Show[/INDENT]

End Sub

Sub ShowUserformB(ByVal objShowB As Object)[INDENT]
objShowB.Show[/INDENT]

End Sub

I can successfully test for the name of the objUserForm in the first "Test" procedure, and can pass the userform as a string to ShowUserformA. But that creates a new instance of the form, not a re-showing of the existing, loaded form. When I try to pass it as an object to ShowUserformB, I get a Run-time error '438' ("Object doesn't support this property"). Can anyone help me understand where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Welcome to the board.

Looking no further than this,

Code:
ShowUserformB (objUserForm)        'Pass as object

... you can't put parens around the argument. That tells VBA to evalute the argument to a simple data type, which it cannot do.

The parens shouldn't appear in the prior line either, but in that case it's harmless; the literal string evaluates to a literal string.

Upvote 0
OMG!! Thank you!! So simply yet so elusive.....

I've found lots of great material on this board, but this was my first post. What a fantastic service and resource this community provides!

Upvote 0
One last question: Is there a way to pass the name of a loaded userform as a string and open that existing form without creating a new instance? (e.g. my ShowUserformA("MTScoringForm") example without using userforms.add method?

Upvote 0
if you hide the form instead of unloading it, it will be preserved, along with anything you've entered into it. there's a few ways to do that. myself I tend to use the QueryClose event to determine exactly how it was closed (such as by the X button in the corner), and sometimes hide it instead of letting it actually close entirely.

Upvote 0
Code:
userforms("myForm").show

Upvote 0
I tried that approach. But
Code:
userforms("myForm").show
gives me an error 13 'Type mismatch'. I found the only way was by calling
Code:
userforms.add("myForm")
, which seemed to create a second instance of the form.

Upvote 0
You could put this in the code module for frmOKModeless

Code:
' in frmOKModeless

Private Sub UserForm_Terminate()
    If 0 < UserForms.Count Then
        UserForms(UserForms.Count - 1).Show
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back