Users!!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Sure; it's posted at https://app.box.com/s/z6qv4zbz8xy17d5ziesn.

From the header:

Code:
' ============================== S H E E T   M A P =============================

' Creates a sheet map to characterize the contents of each cell with a color,
' and, for non-empty cells, a two-character code

'   Color:
'       Dark Grey   Empty
'       Light Grey  Formula
'       Yellow      A number or date stored as text
'       Red         An error
'       White       None of the above

'   First character => formula or literal:
'       L   A literal
'       F   A formula
'       <   A formula the same as that at left
'       ^   A formula the same as that above
'       +   A formula the same as those above and left

'   Second character => type of value:
'       $   String      ' from the type declaration character
'       @   Currency    ' from the type declaration character
'       #   Double      ' from the type declaration character
'       D   Date
'       E   Error

I've just had a look. Thanks for sharing - this is a little gem. I especially like the formula <^+ test! I'm definitely going to use this. I use styles to indicate inputs from other cells, and I use DV a lot - so I'm going to tailor this a bit to indicate cells with DV and where the inputs are. Thanks again for sharing! (y)

You're welcome, glad you like it. The idea was not original; over the years I saw several requests for a link to something that apparently did something similar. I never found it, but coded it from their various arm-waving descriptions. As you can see, it's not complicated.

My youngest is a business analyst for a medical lab company -- she uses it to see at a glance where people have hard-coded numbers that should be formulas :eek:

Sorry for reviving this old thing, but today I had the bookkeeping shouting at me 'your f###ing Excel doesn't work'.
They have this financial overview page that links to other pages and of course it was my fault that the numbers on the overview page weren't the same as on the original pages.

I looked for about a minute at the formula and then I said, obviously, your formula is pointing to a page called
"september2013.xls" but the page containing the original numbers is called
"september 2013.xls" and on top of that the tab is named 'sheet1' while the formula points to a tab with the cryptic name '6'.

So that matters then?
Yes, it matters.

Phonecall from sales department 5 minutes ago.

"Felix, the bookkeeping department just told me I can't send offers in Excel any more, they have to be in pdf for legal reasons. How do I do that?"
"In Excel, just choose Save As and save as a pdf file."
"Isn't there an easier way?"

"Felix, the bookkeeping department just told me I can't send offers in Excel any more, they have to be in pdf for legal reasons. How do I do that?"

Facepalm.

We have a few users like that too.
Its times like that where I would love to say: "Find a 5 year old to do it for you. I am pretty sure they can handle it.".
But alas, I like staying employed...

I have long thought it would be nice to program a "god" program that does everything I need it to do without my intervention...
I am not up to the task and I do need to eat and have a warm place to stay.
Besides it is likely DARPA or some other group of "s,m,r,t" people are working on our robotic overloads already.

I think people that can't handle simple computer tasks should go back to using ledger books and an abacus. :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back