Using A Cell As An Array Reference In SUMIFS Formula

Wookiee

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a report for which I would like to set up a Quarterly summary section. There are 6 working teams listed in my table and I have created two cells with data validation to allow me to specify which team and for which quarter I would like to pull data. My intent is to have a formula in one cell which can extrapolate the quarterly team information based on the values in the data-validated cells.

My worksheet is set up so that:

• The data table (tblD) contains metrics for all teams for the full year
  • Team names appear in Column A of the table and the reporting month appears in Column B
  • Cell M10 has data validation so that the only choices are: Q1, Q2, Q3, or Q4
  • Cells X1:X4 contain the quarterly values mentioned above
  • Cells Y1:Y4 contain array references, so that Cell X1 = Q1 and Cell Y1 = {"January", "February", "March"}
  • Cell N10 contains a VLOOKUP which returns the appropriate array from Column Y based on value in Cell M10
  • Cell L11 has data validation so that the only choices are the 6 team names

Now I was able to get quarterly information by manually typing the 3-month array into my formula like so:

Rich (BB code):
=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],{"January","February","March"}))

BUT! When I try to use a formula which points to the VLOOKUP cell (N10)--thus allowing me to make the display dynamic--the result is always 0. :mad:

Rich (BB code):
=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],$N$10))

While inspecting the formula in the formula bar, I noticed that the values listed in the array appeared with double quotes (i.e. "{""January"",""February"",""March""}"). I tried every permutation of typing the array in the lookup cells I could think of, but none would allow my formula to properly calculate the total I needed.

{"January", "February", "March"}
{January, February, March}
January, February, March

Although I don't often utilize arrays in my formulas, I do employ them from time to time. I'm hoping there's some factor I might have overlooked which keeps my formula from working. Can someone please help tell me what I need to do in order to fix this formula, or is there an issue preventing array references stored in cells from being used in formulæ?

I apologize for not attaching a file. I'm at work and don't have the ability to visit file-storage sites (and my source data is linked to other files on our network, to boot). I'll be happy to provide clarification or additional information if needed.

Thanks y'all!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Currently you have the month values in single cell, Y1. change it to a way where Y1=January, Y2=February and Y3=March (No quotes)

Now try this formula

Code:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400][B]=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],indirect("R1C25:R3C25",0)))
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
or

[B]=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],$Y$1:$Y$3))[/B]

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to Make it array formula.
R1C25:R3C25 indicates Absolute reference to $Y$1:$Y$3. Modify it according to your logic to get desired results

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ignore my previous post as it directly refers to Column Y
Try this
Currently you have the month values in single cell, Y1. change it to a way where Y1=January, Y2=February and Y3=March (No quotes)

Write 3 vlookups to get all three values into seperate cells. Example N10, O10 and P10 would have Jan, Feb and Mar

Now try this formula

Code:

Code:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400][B]
=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],indirect("R10C14:R10C16",0)))
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
or
[B]
=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],$N$10:$P$10))
[/B]

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to Make it array formula.

Upvote 0
Add the following code to your wb using Alt+F11...

Public Function EVAL(theInput As Variant) As Variant
'
' if UDF evaluate the input string as though it was on this sheet
' else evaluate for activesheet
'
Dim vEval As Variant
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo funcfail
If Not IsEmpty(theInput) Then
If TypeOf Application.Caller.Parent Is Worksheet Then
vEval = Application.Caller.Parent.Evaluate(CStr(theInput))
Else
vEval = Application.Evaluate(CStr(theInput))
End If
If IsError(vEval) Then
EVAL = CVErr(xlErrValue)
Else
EVAL = vEval
End If
End If
Exit Function
funcfail:
EVAL = CVErr(xlErrNA)
End Function

Now you can invoke:

=SUM(SUMIFS(tblD[TU5],tblD[Team],$L$11,tblD[Month],EVAL($N$10)))</pre>

Upvote 0
Thank you, KrisSquare! I really appreciate your assistance.

I used a slight variation on your suggestion just because of the way I had my data structured in the worksheet, but the formula worked very well once I got it all sorted out.:)

Have a great day (or middle of the night, as I suspect it is where you live)!

Upvote 0
That's a great function, Aladin. Many thanks for sharing it!

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I tried your EVAL function, but it's still just returning the match from the first of the array. I have the below where the withdrawn from contains the name of another sheet and keywords to match are on the same page...(my excel knowledge is very limited!). I can swap the two keywords around in the array and get the second number i want, but it's not doing a sum on both numbers.

Code:
=ABS(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&[@[Withdrawn From]]&"'!C:C"),INDIRECT("'"&[@[Withdrawn From]]&"'!E:E"),EVAL([@Keywords])))

With keywords containing...

Code:
{"Cardtronics*","CT 7-11*"}

Upvote 0
Try:

=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&[@[Withdrawn From]]&"'!C:C"),INDIRECT("'"&[@[Withdrawn From]]&"'!E:E"),EVAL([@Keywords]))))

Upvote 0
Yeah I added sum to it and pressed ctrl, shift enter and it started working...your sumproduct also worked if i did that. Thanks Aladin!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back