Using a different formula depending on the settings of multiple variables in Excel

mhoehener

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

Hope for help here :)

Situation:
I am trying to use a different formula in Cell A depending on multiple variables in Cell B, C (possible will grow in the future and more variables will be introduced - but as of right now, it is only 2. But it is the reason I do not want to solve this with a nested IF).

So far I was not able to solve this problem.

The following was my approach:

Create a UDF named FormulaValue

In the Function use a Select Case checking on the variable combination of cells B, C

Values for B and C can be either 'selection' or 'no selection' as it is 2 variable right now, there are 4 possible combinations.

VBA Code:
[I]Function FormulaValue(Inputfield)

Select Case Inputfield

Case Is = "no selection|no selection"

FormulaValue = "=SUMIFS(data!G:G,data!H:H," >= "&DATE($D$6,$E$6,$F$6),data!H:H," <= "&DATE($G$6,$H$6,$I$6),data!BT:BT,'Results'!C24)"

Case Is = "selection|no selection"

FormulaValue = "=SUMIFS(data!G:G,data!H:H," >= "&DATE($D$6,$E$6,$F$6),data!H:H," <= "&DATE($G$6,$H$6,$I$6),data!BT:BT,'Results'!C23,data!BR:BR,'Results'!$N$4)"

Case Is = "no selection|selection"

FormulaValue = "=SUMIFS(data!G:G,data!H:H," >= "&DATE($D$6,$E$6,$F$6),data!H:H," <= "&DATE($G$6,$H$6,$I$6),data!BT:BT,'Results'!C23,data!BY:BY,'Results'!$O$4)"

Case Is = "selection|selection"

FormulaValue = "=SUMIFS(data!G:G,data!H:H," >= "&DATE($D$6,$E$6,$F$6),data!H:H," <= "&DATE($G$6,$H$6,$I$6),data!BT:BT,'Results'!C23,data!BY:BY,'Results'!$O$4,data!BR:BR,'Results'!$N$4)"

End Select

End Function
[/I]

The result when adding this UDF in excel is #Value. Clicking on the function to see what happens shows that Inputfield is one of the Select cases, but then no result is provided.

mrexcelprintscreen.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards Marco

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
You cannot use a UDF to change the formula in a cell.

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
You cannot use a UDF to change the formula in a cell.
Hi. Thanks for the quick feedback. so my only solution is an ever-extending nested if or is there a better way to solve my issue?

Upvote 0
You could possibly put the IF into the sumifs, but it's going to get messy either way.

Upvote 0
T
You could possibly put the IF into the sumifs, but it's going to get messy either way.
Thanks again for the reply. I solved it no with the new IFS formula that checks on a code that I create depending on the combination of the different variables. Not perfect but better then a nested IF formula.

Upvote 0
better then a nested IF formula.
I wouldn't count on that. The new IFS function is far less efficient then nested IF functions.
Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't count on that. The new IFS function is far less efficient then nested IF functions.
Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback.
let's hope 🤞 don't know about efficiency but imho certainly more readable :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back