Using a Loop (or similar) to assign FieldInfo when opening TXT in VBA?

RickyFish89

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I open a lot of csv and txt documents that I don't like excel ruining, so I wrote a macro that will give me a file dialog to select my file, then it will open, split by column, and assign every column as Text rather than General, Date, etc.

the code I'm using to assign Type is 'FieldInfo' as part of Workbooks.OpenText. In this, you use 'Array(X, Y)' where X is the column number and Y is the type. The good news is that you can go out as far as you want and even if the text file does not contain that many columns it won't error out, so I would like to have an 'Array(x,y)' for a very large number of columns, just to be sure. The documents I work with can be anywhere from a couple dozen columns to literally hundreds.

So, the question- is it possible to use a for loop or something similar to fix this array? or is there another option within Workbooks.OpenText that would just default ALL columns to type 'Text' (2)?

here is my current code:

VBA Code:
Sub OpenCSVTXT()
Dim strFilePath As String, strFinalPath As String

With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        .Filters.Add "Text Files", "*.prn; *.txt; *.csv", 1
        .Show
        strFilePath = .SelectedItems.Item(1)
    End With

If strFilePath = "" Then
        MsgBox ("File not found or operation cancelled, aborting...")
        Exit Sub
    End If

If Right(strFilePath, 4) = ".csv" Then
        strFinalPath = Left(strFilePath, Len(strFilePath) - 4) & ".txt"
        FileCopy strFilePath, strFinalPath
    Else
        strFinalPath = strFilePath
    End If

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _
        strFinalPath, Origin:= _
        437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, _
        ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False _
        , Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar:="|", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 2 _
        ), Array(2, 2), Array(3, 2), Array(4, 2), Array(5, 2), Array(6, 2), Array(7, 2), Array(8, 2), _
        Array(9, 2), Array(10, 2), Array(11, 2), Array(12, 2), Array(13, 2), Array(14, 2), Array(15 _
        , 2), Array(16, 2), Array(17, 2), Array(18, 2), Array(19, 2), Array(20, 2), Array(21, 2), _
        Array(22, 2), Array(23, 2), Array(24, 2), Array(25, 2), Array(26, 2), Array(27, 2), Array( _
        28, 2), Array(29, 2), Array(30, 2), Array(31, 2), Array(32, 2), Array(33, 2), Array(34, 2), _
        Array(35, 2), Array(36, 2), Array(37, 2), Array(38, 2), Array(39, 2), Array(40, 2), Array( _
        41, 2), Array(42, 2), Array(43, 2), Array(44, 2), Array(45, 2), Array(46, 2), Array(47, 2), _
        Array(48, 2), Array(49, 2), Array(50, 2), Array(51, 2), Array(52, 2), Array(53, 2), Array( _
        54, 2), Array(55, 2), Array(56, 2), Array(57, 2), Array(58, 2), Array(59, 2), Array(60, 2), _
        Array(61, 2), Array(62, 2), Array(63, 2), Array(64, 2), Array(65, 2), Array(66, 2), Array( _
        67, 2), Array(68, 2), Array(69, 2), Array(70, 2), Array(71, 2), Array(72, 2), Array(73, 2), _
        Array(74, 2), Array(75, 2), Array(76, 2), Array(77, 2), Array(78, 2), Array(79, 2), Array( _
        80, 2), Array(81, 2), Array(82, 2), Array(83, 2), Array(84, 2), Array(85, 2), Array(86, 2), _
        Array(87, 2), Array(88, 2), Array(89, 2), Array(90, 2), Array(91, 2), Array(92, 2), Array( _
        93, 2), Array(94, 2), Array(95, 2), Array(96, 2), Array(97, 2), Array(98, 2), Array(99, 2)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

End Sub

I also tried a looped string and/or variant to loop that and replace the wall of text with the variable, but that either doesn't work or I'm missing something (totally possible)
so, any suggestions that don't involve simply typing out "Array(X, 2)" a couple hundred times and having a wall of text as code?

VBA Code:
    strFieldType = "Array(1, 2)"
    For x = 2 To 999
        strFieldType = strFieldType & ", Array(" & x & ", 2)"
    Next x

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _
        strFinalPath, Origin:= _
        437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, _
        ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False _
        , Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar:="|", FieldInfo:=Array(strFieldType), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try adapting the following code, which calls on two functions. One to get the number of columns in a text file, and the other to get a two-dimensional array containing the column number and data type. Here's the code...

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub test()

Dim fullName As String
    fullName = "c:\users\domenic\desktop\sample.txt"

Dim columnCount As Long
    columnCount = GetColumnCountFromTextFile(fullName, vbTab)

If columnCount = 0 Then
        MsgBox "No data found!", vbExclamation
        Exit Sub
    End If

Workbooks.OpenText _
        Filename:=fullName, _
        DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        Tab:=True, _
        FieldInfo:=GetFieldInfo(columnCount)

End Sub

Private Function GetColumnCountFromTextFile(ByVal PathAndFilename As String, Optional ByVal Delim As String = ",") As Long

'   Returns the number of columns contains in a text file
'   First non-blank line used to determine number of columns based on delimiter

Dim textLine As String
    Dim fileNumber As Long
    Dim columnCount As Long

columnCount = 0
    fileNumber = FreeFile()
    Open PathAndFilename For Input As #fileNumber
        Do Until EOF(fileNumber)
            Line Input #fileNumber, textLine
            If Len(textLine) > 0 Then
                columnCount = UBound(Split(textLine, Delim)) + 1
                Exit Do
            End If
        Loop
    Close #fileNumber

GetColumnCountFromTextFile = columnCount

End Function

Private Function GetFieldInfo(ByVal columnCount As Long) As Variant

'   Returns a two-dimensional array containing a column number and data type pair
'   Sets all columns to text format

ReDim fieldInfoArray(1 To columnCount, 1 To 2)

Dim i As Long
    For i = LBound(fieldInfoArray, 1) To UBound(fieldInfoArray, 1)
        fieldInfoArray(i, 1) = i
        fieldInfoArray(i, 2) = xlTextFormat
    Next i

GetFieldInfo = fieldInfoArray()

End Function

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
that helped greatly, thank you! everything seems to work perfectly now, having tested on multiple files. Question though- what's exactly happening with the fieldInfoArray? specifically, the , 1) and , 2) portions of the For statement. I don't exactly follow how that's working versus the initial array of just being (colNum, 2) ad nauseam. It all works correctly and every column is text as it should be, I'm just not quite understanding how it works.

thanks again!

Upvote 0
As you know, with Array(Array(1, 2), Array(2, 2), Array(3, 2), . . . ) , we have an array of one-dimensional arrays. A two-dimensional array is basically the same thing. It's also an array of one-dimensional arrays. And so the 1 and 2 that you see there are just subscripts used to access the desired elements so that the appropriate values can be assigned (ie. column number and data type). I would suggest that you search Google for multi-dimensional arrays for detailed information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back