using Excel to make a family tree

StR

Hello,

I am using Excel to make an extended family tree and have set the column width at 1.71 to allow greater control and flexibility over placing boxes and connector lines.

Since I have a large family the tree is VERY wide, and I've maxxed out on the number of allowable columns.

If I could shift it to run vertically instead of horizontally, this would help, but would necessitate prolonged work on a spreadsheet with sideways content.

Is it possible to do this, but view it normally -- or some similar solution?

Thanks.

P.S. I've tried Excel templates for family trees, but they're designed for very simple trees and don't work for my purposes.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
StR: Welcome to the MrExcel board. You've had 20 views of your post as of my writing.

Excel is not the right tool for the task. You've already begun to realize that. Though it seems you've already spent considerable time in this effort, the further you go the more frustrated you'll get. It would be much easier to cut your losses now and invest in something that was designed for your needs.

Amazon has a number of products ranging from $25 to $85
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...ces&sprefix=ances&sprefix=ances&sprefix=ances

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back