Using IF STATEMENTS, CONDITIONAL FORMATS and VALIDATE to track tasks. HOW? PT. 2

abuchanan

I posted yesterday, (don't know how to reference post), and Wayne was nice enough to help me out. However, last night I realized I failed to specify exactly what info I wanted to retain in the worksheet. This time I've taken his suggestion and pasted an example workbook.

What I'm wanting to do it to track tasks in one worksheet by the number of days a task takes versus the original estimate.

The issue is that I want to allow the user the option of entered EITHER an estimated END DATE for a task, OR an estimated NUMBER of DAYS the task will take. Wayne came up with a solution, but I had him using COLUMN A for the TASK, a drop down in COLUMN B to choose which you wanted to enter, and then in the next COLUMN entering the info.

So in Column C, you may have END DATE or NUMBER of DAYS.

But what I really need is to enter the END DATE in COLUMN C OR the NUM of DAYS in COLUMN D... and then the other COLUMN would calculate the appropriate DATE or Num of Days...

That way, for each task, I'm showing a START DATE in B; an END DATE in C, and a NUMBER OF DAYS in D....

It is just that you enter either DATE or DAYS and the other one automatically populates.

Several problems:
1). How do I enter a formula in a cell that will calculate OR just let you manually enter data?
2). I was also trying to use conditional formatting to turn the cells you manually enter data into GREEN, and those you let CALCULATE turn red (I almost got this one with Wayne's help);
3). Once I do manually enter data into the cell, the formula is gone... what if I then decide that instead of days I want to enter date?
EXAMPLE... A start date is June 1. I choose to enter 10 days. When the END DATE is calculated, I notice it is the first day of my vacation... so I decide I just will enter the END DATE... but since I previously entered 10 days, the formula to calculate the number of days is gone... I can enter the day I come back from vacation, but it no longer will calculate the number of days, since I erased the formula when I originally put in 10 days! (I was trying to do some sort of reset button that would put the formulas back in... but didn't know how the heck to start that! --- was thinking maybe once the "other" data is calculated -- either the END DATE or NUM of DAYS -- the cells all turn red... and if you want to change something you have to click a reset button and start over????? - Goofy way to do this I guess?

Anyway, hopefully this makes since to one of you guys. I'm attaching the example workbook.

I tried to use xl2bb to create a worksheet... hopefully this works????

Book3
ABCDEFGHIJK
1START DATEEnter Data In Green Box ONLYEst END DATEEst NUM OF DAYSACTUAL END DATENumber of Days OVER/UNDER
2Determine Budget6/1/23NUM of DAYS6/8/2356/5/23-3
3Pick Vendor6/15/23END DATE6/20/2346/21/231
4Place Order6/15/23
6HOW DO I DO CONDITIONAL FORMATTING SO A THE CELL TURNS
7RED OR GREEN BASED ON COLUMN D?
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=IF($D2="Num of Days", WORKDAY($C2,$F2))
F3F3=IF($D3="end date",NETWORKDAYS($C3,$E3))
H2:H3H2=(NETWORKDAYS($C2,$G2)-(NETWORKDAYS($C2,$E2)))
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
E3Other TypeColor scaleNO
F2Expression=$D2="Num of Days"textNO
E2Expression=$D2="Num of Days"textNO

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
don't know how to reference post
  • Go to the post (or thread) that you want to reference and copy the address from the address bar of your browser.
  • Then in your current post reply window click the Link icon above the window
    1685948280793.png
  • Paste the copied address into the URL box and click 'Insert'
    1685948362021.png
It should turn out like this when you post
Using IF STATEMENTS, FORMATS and VALIDATE to track tasks. HOW?

Upvote 0
Hi, see the linked file (without your D column and without reset button) for a possible solution...

It is important to note that the WORKDAY and NETWORKDAYS functions are not inverse functions of each other.
For example WORKDAY(6/1/23,5)=6/8/23 but NETWORKDAYS(6/1/23,6/8/23)=5 is not TRUE but NETWORKDAYS(6/1/23,6/8/23)=6 TRUE.
Another example: NETWORKDAYS(6/15/23,6/20/23)=4, but WORKDAY(6/15/23,4)=6/20/23 is not TRUE, but WORKDAY(6/15/23,4)=6/21/23 TRUE.

The formulas used in the table...
F2: =IF(AND(D2="",E2<>""),WORKDAY(C2,G2),IF(AND(D2<>"",E2=""),D2,""))
G2: =IF(AND(D2<>"",E2=""),NETWORKDAYS(C2,F2),IF(AND(D2="",E2<>""),E2,""))
I2: =IF(G2="","",NETWORKDAYS(C2,H2)-NETWORKDAYS(C2,F2))

The formulas for the Conditional Formatting...
=AND(D1="",E1="",C1<>"")
=AND(D1<>"",E1<>"",ROW()>1)
=AND(D1="",E1<>"")
=AND(D1<>"",E1="")

Valid.xlsx

Param.png

Valid.png

Upvote 0
Solution
This is great!!! I changed a few things, but without your help would never have finished it!

Cool that you can put in date or number of days, and it figures the other for you. You never know how other people like to work, so this allows them the option!

Thanks very much again!! I really appreciate you and this board! I've been a long time member, but retired a few years ago and haven't done a lot in excel, so I've forgotten a LOT! (plus getting old doesn't help!)

Thanks again... I'm mark solved!

Upvote 0
Hi, I am very glad that the formulas work.
If I have enough knowledge, I am happy to help at any time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back